19장 약속

Chapter 19 : PROMISE

*back to Taehyung's pov*

I watch in horror as Jeonggukie press the call button, his words ringing in my ear.

"Sorry Tae, but maybe you have to learn too pretty boy."

No, he can’t bring Da-mi here. She doesn’t deserve it, no one does.

The time is ticking in slow motion, but my brain is working ten times faster than usual.

I have to do something, but what?

I can’t just let him call her, can I?

Tears are now resting in the brim of my eyes and I’ve stopped fighting against Namjoon’s grip.

My eyes wander to Wooshik, and as I take in his appearance, widen and reddened eyes full of fear, my heart hurts a bit. I don’t like Wooshik because of what he have done, but if I would have confessed and told the truth, I would’ve been in the exactly same position and state as him.

One look at him, and my walls of self defense fell.

I bite Namjoon's hand, a yelp of pain slipping out of his throat, at the same time the valuable seconds is ticking away.

He reluctantly removes his hand from my mouth for a split second, and before I have time to stop myself, my voice is heard all over the room.

“Stop!”

Jeongguk doesn’t even give me a look.

“I’m the real liar, not Wooshik!” I blurt out, my voice shaking and my chin facing the ceiling as I try to avoid Namjoon who is trying to replace his hand over my mouth.

Jeongguk turns around and his dark eyes bore into mine, his grip around the phone tightening causing his knuckles to whiten.

What?” he spits out with controlled anger and Namjoon gives up in his attempt of shut me up. I gulp and look down in my clenched fists.

Was this a good idea? Not at all.

Necessary? Yes.

“Please hung up and I will exp-”

“Explain?”, he cuts me off, “I don’t think so. You’ve had your chance.”

The clock is running, the seconds ticking away, my brain working at its full speed.

All the feelings I have is tearing me apart from the inside, and the panic is the biggest one.

Jeongguk's body suddenly stiffens and realization strikes me with yet another unwelcoming feeling accompanying. Horror.

Da-mi picked up. I know she did, because Jeongguk facial features suddenly changed from grimly to concentrated.

As he opens his mouth to answer the light voice which is on the other side of the line, I act, or in this case speak, before thinking.

“I’ll do anything!”

I don’t understand the power of those words once they are bounded together, let alone do I know that I’ll soon find out.

All I know is that those words did caught Jeongguk attention as he once again turns to face me.

Anything?” he asks and mute the phone, his voice somewhat sounding different, “you promise you’ll do anything?”

I understand by his tone that he take those words far more important than me, and I start thinking the words through.

Can I really promise him I’ll do anything if he hangs up the call? No.

“Maybe not anything…”, I trail off and he shakes his head at me.

“Wrong answer, gorgeous.”

He turns his back at me and replaces the phone by his ear, unmuting it, and starts talking to the innocent girl on the other line.

“Hello, Da-mi. As you hear, this isn’t Wooshik, but one of his friends. Listen, I have something to tell you, but don’t ask any questions, okay? It’s really important. You know Wo-”

“I promise”, I cry out and rush towards Jeongguk to make sure he ends the phone call. As promised, or expected, he does, and I end up half a metre away from him, suddenly not knowing what to do.

“You”, Jeongguk says as he takes a step closer and decreases the distance between us, “just saved your friends skin, and turned yourself in.”

“No”, I say with a harsher tone than expected, “I told you I’ll do anything, which isn’t the same as turning yourself in. I owe you, nothing more. You better use the favor wisely, but I rather see it as you don’t use it at all.”

Jeongguk smirks at me and his fingers starts follow the outline of my jaw.

“Oh, gorgeous, you can bet I’ll use it”, he leans in closer, his lips brushing against my ear, “but I’m a patient man, and I will save it for later. And don’t worry, I’m standing by my word of not being such a bad guy as you seems to believe.”

His words sends chillers down my spine, but I feel a minimal amount of relief at his last words.

I back away, and Wooshik caughts my eyes. His lips silently forms the words ‘thank you’ and his eyes are full of joy and relief and I give him a barely noticeable nod in response.

I didn’t do it for him.

I did it for myself and my conscience, and for Da-mi.

“C’mon, dinner’s ready”, Namjoon sigh and gets up from the cough. I wonder if he had enjoyed the scene of what had just occurred. I certainly didn’t because I just realized I’ve thrown myself head over heels into something I shouldn’t have.

Da-mi's POV:

The phone call abruptly ends and I stare at my phone with furrowed eyebrows.

What had just happened?

Who was that guy I’ve just spoken to, and was he going to tell me something about Wooshik's?

And most important of all, why had I heard Tae’s voice shouting in the background?

I can almost swear it was his voice, saying something that sounded like ‘I’ll do anything’. His soft voice, and specially the high pitched tone she gets as he raises his voice, isn’t something you’ll forget in a hurry.

I know I have to tell someone about this, that I’m almost sure of that I’ve heard Tae,but how will I explain it was through Wooshik's phone?

Why is Wooshik’s phone at the same place as Tae if he isn’t there? What was the guy I talked to going to say? It sounded like he started saying Wooshik’s name.

Does Wooshik have something to do with Tae’s kidnapping?

JEONGGUK POV:

I know I just lied to Taehyung . He promised me he’ll do anything if I hung up the phone call, and I did, so it’s not actually a lie, but I know she will consider it as one.

I’m not sure, but there’s a risk that Wooshik's girlfriend, Da-mi I think, heard Taehyung as he shouted his little promise, and I don’t like taking these kind of risks where I can get caught. Taehyung and Wooshik won’t like it for sure, but they just have to accept it. It’s not like they have any choice.

I’m going to give Da-mi's a little visit, and I can’t promise I will come back empty handed.