Chapter 11: Beach Time

Sonic gasped and coughed up some water. He looked around and saw they were on the other side of the ocean, where the Chaos Emerald was. Most of the heroes were drying off the Frog Suits and Mario said, "Sonic! You're awake!"

"You saved me?" Sonic asked. "I thought you HATED me!"

"You saved me too! I thought YOU hated ME!"

"I'll always help a friend in need no matter what!" The two surprisingly said.

Sonic sighed and stood up. "I just like to show off...And I keep provoking people...I'm sorry, guys. Can I tell you something? I don't really have friends and...I try to keep my power to myself. I never meant anything by being that arrogant. Y'know, I like to make big entrances...And...I'm sorry for being arrogant."

Mario smiled. "It's true...You are arrogant..."

"And brash," Audrey said.

"And like to do your own thing sometimes," Peach said. "But you're sometimes accommodating."

"You're also reliable at times," Rosalina added.

"And if you didn't help us back there at Toad Town, we would've been toast," Mario replied. He then held out his hand. "Friends?"

Sonic smiled. "Yeah...Friends."

The two shook hands and the hedgehog said, "Let's go get that Emerald."

"Indeed," Rosalina said, armed with her wand.

The heroes walked into the temple and Audrey took out a flare. She lit it and the light shined around the table. The heroes walked through the temple and Rosalina saw a golden chest. She went to it and Atlas opened it. The chest contained a yellow Chaos Emerald and also a piece of folded paper. 

Mario took the paper and Daisy took the Emerald. Mario raised an eyebrow and asked, "What is this?"

He unfolded the paper and gasped as it was a gigantic map of all the galaxies in the Universe. "It's a map to the rest of the Chaos Emeralds!"

Rosalina analyzed the map. Her finger glided over the paper and she gasped. "The turquoise Emerald is in...the Feral Galaxy...Oh, no..."

"What's so wrong about it?"

"It's known as the Land of the Untamed."

"It's alright! I've survived being thrown off a flying airship, driving on Rainbow Road, being attacked by Bowser, and also using the Power Star."

"Hopefully, we'll be alright," Rohan said.

"Now that we've got four Chaos Emeralds, who's ready for a beach party?"

Back at the Beach near the Comet Observatory

Mario splashed some water on Peach and she giggled. Rosalina sipped a custom-made martini. She wore her turquoise swim dress adorned with stars. Audrey stepped off of the observatory and tugged on the strings of her bikini. "Rosalina, are you sure that this old swimsuit of yours fits?"

"I'm sure it looks lovely on you," Rosalina replied.

"Yeah...You're right."

Mario walked up to Rosalina and Audrey and sat down next to her. "Man, you know how to make beach parties."

Rosalina chuckled. "I once dated a woman who DJs for beach parties."

"Wow...You must've been with a lot of people. Atlas must be proud to have a mom who knows so much about the universe."

"Yes...He's proud." Rosalina sighed and her smile dropped as she looked at Atlas playing with Yoshi and Donkey Kong. "...Mario...Can I tell you a secret?"

"Umm...Sure...I mean we've only been collecting the Chaos Emeralds a few days now and you've told me a few things about yourself." Mario took off his hat. "Go right ahead."

She crossed her arms and sat in a fetal position compared to her lying down. "Atlas...is not my son..."

"What?" Mario and Audrey asked.

"...Sixteen years ago, I found him...alone in a pod in outer space. I was just spending an average day until...his pod floated onto the observatory and opened to reveal him sitting there, alone, crying, he had just opened his eyes...There was a message saying that his home planet was destroyed and that he was the last of whoever was on that planet. Only a message...but no name for him...So I gave him a name that he would appreciate forever: Atlas. It means "Endurance" because of his endurance and strength when it comes to learning how to grow up in a world that could harm us."

Mario sighed. "...I'm...I'm sorry. Maybe we should tell Atlas."

"No! You cannot tell Atlas about his origins...He'd stop loving me...and hate me for lying to him."

"...Okay...I won't tell Atlas. But...it's okay that you can tell him. If you tell him or don't...I believe that he'll understand."

Rosalina smiled and Audrey said, "I won't tell him either."