Chapter 27: The Long Run

Peach's ears were ringing and distorting her hearing as she saw the heroes arguing and panicking about what was happening. Mario knelt and cried out, "Peach! Peach! PEACH!"

"...Mario...Please...help me..." Peach weakly uttered. "Uuuuuggghh....."

"PEACH!!!" Mario screamed as she fell unconscious.

Rohan and Daisy gasped in horror and Rohan asked Rosalina, "What happened?! WHAT IN THE NAME OF BOWSER AND DHARKON IS HAPPENING TO MY COUSIN?!?!?!"

"Peach is..." Rosalina uttered. "...She's suffering from Chaos Poison. Derived from the raw Chaos Energy that was in the Emeralds. If we don't get a Phoenix Flower and fast, she'll die."

Everyone gasped in horror and Mario stood up. "Where is the Phoenix Flower? What does it do?" Toad asked. "I've never heard about a Phoenix Flower before."

"Phoenix Flowers are the only things that can heal Chaos Poison or cure any illness or curse," Atlas replied. "They can only be found in the Esperia Galaxy protected by the Phoenixes, but there are hardly any Phoenixes left and the Esperia Galaxy is miles away. We can never make it there in time."

"It's not like we have a magic transporter." Donkey Kong said.

"Wait..." Mario turned to Sonic. "Sonic! Give me a Ring! Take care of my girlfriend until I get back."

Sonic took one from his pouch and Mario threw it, forming a portal to a dark forest illuminated by what appeared to be weird versions of the Fire Flowers. Mario sighed and ran into the portal. Rohan gasped and said, "Wait, Mario! What if a Phoenix is alive and attacks you?!"

"I don't care what's out there!" Mario replied. "I'm saving her!"

"Wait!" Sonic then tossed another ring to Mario and he caught it. "So you can get back."

Mario nodded and ran further into the forest. The Ring disappeared and Rohan asked, "Is he NUTS?!?! What if he can't get back in time!?"

"Have faith in Mario," Rosalina said.

Esperia Galaxy

Mario dashed through the forest, desperately trying to find the Phoenix Flower for his princess. He then found a map and also a village. Mario sighed in relief at the thought of civilization. He walked into the village and asked a local man, "Excuse me. Where can I find a Phoenix Flower?"

"Oh, the Phoenix Flowers were harvested to make the King immortal and are at the Great City ten miles from here."

"No..."

"But we do have a secret field of them down there west that you are free to use. Just keep going west until you see a birch tree among our common oak trees."

"Thank you. You just saved a life tonight."

The local tipped his hat to Mario and he did that as well. Mario ran west like the local and he was already getting tired. He panted tiredly and said, "C'mon, Peach, hold on for a bit longer."

He then finally felt exhausted and sat by a tree to take a breather. He sighed and panted as he almost was out of breath. He sighed again and closed his eyes and remembered...

World-1, Mushroom Kingdom - Two years ago

Mario, Toad, Rohan, and Peach were on their voyage to Yoshi Island. Toad and Rohan went to go refill the water canteens while Peach and Mario were sitting in a small forest next to a bed of flowers.

Mario analyzed the surroundings and said, "This place is amazing."

"Yes, it is," Peach said. "There is more like this that count on us. You'll be a hero to the people that tend to these landscapes."