Chapter 34: Brooklyn Battle

Brooklyn, New York - The Human World

Mario groaned awake and saw that he was back in Brooklyn. He looked around and saw that it was dawn. Suddenly, he saw...Alex and Maria, his adoptive parents. Mario gasped and asked, "Alex and Maria?"

"Mario?" Alex asked.

"Mom and Dad!" Mario ran towards to them and said, "I know who my parents are...They were legendary heroes who protected Luigi and me...and...I'm lucky to have you two as the parents I grew up with."

Maria had tears in her eyes and then Mario continued, "Now, you guys have to get to safety. Something's gonna happen and-"

Suddenly, the manholes started glowing and Mario brought his parents to safety. He looked to see that the manholes were releasing shockwaves...and then the manholes exploded and many Power-Ups rained from them. Even loads of debris from the streets and also some of the castle rained from the explosions.

Donkey Kong kept the heroes safe except Sonic who landed not far from them. He quickly avoided the raining debris and Mario groaned in pain from what he endured in the warp pipe. Suddenly, he heard a little ding happen and saw the Chaos Emeralds fall one by one next to each other. They didn't look that damaged except for the blue Emerald which was slightly chipped.

"The Emeralds..." Mario uttered. "...I can still fix this!"

He quickly ran to the Emeralds...but knew the battle wasn't over. He gasped as Discordia ripped out of the debris left from the explosions and she was completely enraged. "MARIOOOOOOO!!!!!" she screamed in bloody murder.

Mario quickly ran faster to the Emeralds and Discordia leaped from her spot, stopping him dead in his tracks as she blocked his path to the Emeralds. "You want THESE?!?!?!" she boomed over the plumber and suddenly grabbed his arm.

Mario whimpered as he saw the goddess' bright red and bloodshot eyes and furious expression. Discordia growled and then punched Mario in the stomach, sending him flying and crashing him into the windshield of a car. Mario quickly recovered and managed to get out of the car before Discordia could ignite it on fire.

"YOU'RE RUINING MY PLANS TO FREE MY SON!!!" Discordia shouted before she began to throw debris and Lucky Blocks at Mario. "I was FINALLY GONNA BE HAPPY!!!"

Mario evaded the attacks but then Discordia caught his foot and threw him to another car as she continued, "Now you will SUFFER..." She then flipped the car over as she yelled, "LIKE I HAVE!!!!!!"

Alex and Maria watched in horror as Discordia was on a rampage and started to beat Mario out of rage. She then kicked him one more time and he flew and crashed into a nearby restaurant. He fell into the bar area of the building and clenched his arm in pain. He felt as if the impact twisted his arm. He yelped in pain and hid behind the bar top. He heard Discordia's growl and she continued, "Did you REALLY think you can stop me?!?!?!? YOU WORTHLESS, WEAK LITTLE NOTHING!! COME OUT AND FIGHT ME!!! Or are you too SCARED to fight a god?!?!"

Mario whimpered and sighed. Discordia noticed Mario's fear and chuckled sadistically. "Just what I thought," she smirked and decided to take the liberty of taunting him some more after hearing Mario's stifled sob. "What's the matter? Is life flashing before your eyes? Once I bring the End of Days, this entire universe and your pathetic friends will go...POP...Soon when I'm done, it'll be as if you never had a life."

She then proceeded to walk away from the restaurant and gathered the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic quickly ran to the building and analyzed Mario's wound. "Oh, Mario...We can't give up now!"

"...But...Discordia is too strong. Every time we think we've got her, she's always got a trick up her sleeve...even when she has the Chaos Emeralds, we can't stop her." Mario uttered. He had tears forming in his eyes as he continued, "I let Peach, Rohan, and everyone down...I let King Bill get sucked into the warp pipe and brought the Mushroom Kingdom to Brooklyn. And now the universe is gonna pay for my actions...Peach doesn't deserve me..."