Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Part 3

"The squib?" he asked unthinkingly. If his only competition was Longbottom there was definite cause for hope.

At her look of irritation he quickly backpedaled. "My apologies, Astoria. I didn't mean to offend. I just think you deserve better."

It became immediately clear to him how badly he had bungled the situation. The disappointed look he had become so used to seeing from her during their time at Hogwarts returned in full force. He remained silent as Astoria sat back down and began speaking, purposely looking him straight in the eyes.

"Would you like to know when I realized Neville was the one?" she asked, all signs of her previous friendliness long gone. She did not wait for him to answer

"Neville and I began dating at the beginning of my fifth year at Hogwarts. A few months into our relationship we started talking about our former crushes. I told him that despite everything you had done I had an unrequited crush on you for years. I even admitted that I still held out hope that you would redeem yourself despite all evidence to the contrary until the very end."

She was so shut off now, all of her prior warmth well and truly gone.

"It was the perfect opportunity for Neville to tease me and make fun of you and gloat at your circumstance. We both know you deserved it after how awful you were to him."

He watched as she smiled and gazed off into the distance. It was clear she was thinking about Neville. All hope was gone.

"But he didn't do that," she continued. "He actually said he felt sorry for you and that your loss was his gain. He knows who he is and doesn't have to insult others to prop himself up, Draco. Neville is exactly who I deserve."

He watched as Astoria stood to leave and turned to look at him once again. "It's not too late for you Draco but it is far too late for you and me. Good luck."

And with that she was gone.

As he finished his drink he realized how deluded he had been. Astoria was too smart and he had been too much of an ass to ever have a chance with her at this point. Clearly he had a long way to go in pushing down his ego to acceptable levels. Did it have to be fucking Longbottom though? That was just cruel.

As he made his way out of the cafe he was once again pulled out of his thoughts by a pretty witch.

"Draco? It is you! Do you remember me from Hogwarts?"

He did remember her. How could he not after having Crabbe and Goyle impersonate her for a year. No need to tell her that though. He had hardly noticed her at Hogwarts but he clearly remembered that she had fancied him. She was quite attractive.

"Of course I remember you Meredith. How are you?"

"I'm good. Really good," she replied as she eyed him. "It's a shame you are leaving. I would love to catch up." She was not being subtle.

Time to start flourishing, even if it was only for one night.

"I have all afternoon free and would love to catch up, Meredith," he answered with an easy smile as he escorted her back to his table.

As he sat down and motioned for the waiter he once again pondered how much he appreciated that some things didn't change.