The Spectacular Now - Part 2

Thursday, July 31, 1:00 PM

Daphne smiled to

Daphne smiled to herself as Harry and her family made their way out of Gringotts. Between the vast quantity of gold and artifacts in the Potter vault and the voluminous folders outlining his holdings that the goblins had grudgingly provided it was clear that Harry was a bit overwhelmed. They had been at the bank for three hours and had barely scratched the surface.

As they made their way down Diagon Alley she became aware very quickly that all eyes were on them. While the journey to Gringotts had been relatively anonymous with only a few passersby recognizing Harry it was clear word had spread that he had been sighted. There was an audible drop in volume as they stepped out of the bank and Daphne instantly tensed. It was agreed that they would be safe in such a public setting but it was still disconcerting to have everyone focused on them.

"What would you say to lunch in muggle London?" her father asked casually. "There is the loveliest cafe a few blocks from here."

Daphne waited for Harry to respond and realized he was still lost in his thoughts and had not even been aware of the attention they were garnering. "Muggle London sounds great but won't we be followed?"

"Excellent point, Daphne," her mother interjected. "We'll need to think more about the Potter affect going forward," she said warmly.

The mention of his name pulled Harry out of his thoughts. "Sorry about that," he mumbled, "I guess I've gotten used to it-"

"It's nothing to apologize for Harry," her mother interrupted, "it is a small price to pay for being part of your family."

"Thanks," he said, still taken aback by her mother's honest statements of affection. "Maybe we could walk a block or two and apparate somewhere else?"

"Perfect," her father replied. "Do you remember the Italian restaurant we ate at a few weeks ago, Amanda?"

At her nod he continued addressing the group. "Stick close to us and we will apparate once we are a few blocks clear of Diagon Alley. The security and privacy charms we can put up should do the trick once we get there. We should have plenty of time afterward to make it to the Ministry for your apparition test."

"If you just want to go home and avoid the hassle-"

"Stop being stupid, Harry," Astoria angrily interrupted as she gave their audience a withering glare.

Daphne chuckled at Harry's look of surprise and squeezed his hand. "Well it's official, Harry. Astoria calling you stupid basically makes you a Greengrass at this point."

"Thank you?" he said confusedly.

"You're welcome," Astoria supplied as she playfully punched him in the arm, "and Happy Birthday. Let's go...I'm starving."

Thursday, July 31, 7:30 PM

As they took their seats at the muggle pub located a block away from Grimmauld Place Daphne could think of nothing besides what was going to be happening after dinner. Their trip to the bank and the presence of her family had served as an excellent distraction for most of the day. But now that it was just her and Harry she could think of nothing else. Harry's voice broke her out of her thoughts.

"I'm really glad you and your parents went to Gringotts with me today," Harry began. "I would have been lost."

"I told you it wasn't a problem, Harry. We actually find those things interesting...and so will you once I'm done with you," she said with a grin.

"Just remember our agreement," Harry replied.

"You let me teach you about your finances and I let you teach me Defence," she chimed.

"And flying," he added pointedly.

"And flying," she confirmed as she reached for his hand and squeezed.

"Can I ask you something...about the goblins?" he asked. At her nod he continued.

"I know they are pretty sour toward wizards on principle but they seemed particularly disgusted with your parents."

She laughed out loud. "They don't like my family very much because we only use their banking services and manage our investments ourselves without their help. No help from the goblins means no management fees to be charged. I imagine they realize they are going to be losing the management fees related to your holdings as well very soon."

"You know I appreciate the offer but your parents really don't need to-"

"Harry," she interrupted sternly.

"I know your dad said he would charge a percentage but I looked it up...it's too low."

"You're right," she confirmed. "It's about half what he normally charges for consulting."

"But-"

"Sixty-Forty, Harry. Ring any bells?"

"I know what you are saying but-"

"Weasley Wizard Wheezes," she interrupted again in a singsong voice.

"That's different, he replied stubbornly.

"How?" she asked simply.

She laughed to herself as Harry opened his mouth to speak and no words came out. "Fine, you've made your point," he grudgingly admitted, a small smile creeping onto his face.

"Thank you again for the gifts," he stated, clearly wanting to change the subject. "I can't wait to get it set up. I imagine Kreacher will be having flashbacks to Sirius." She had purchased him his own muggle phonograph and speakers as well as a few records from current artists.

"You're welcome," she replied warmly. "Speaking of which I didn't see what the Weasleys gave you last night."

To her surprise Harry seemed to become uncomfortable. "They gave me a watch...it had belonged to Mrs. Weasley's brother before he died in the war."

Now his apprehension made sense. Her parents had given him a watch as well, wanting Harry to receive the traditional present for a wizard when he came of age. "My parents won't mind if you'd rather wear-"

"No!" he quickly interrupted, "your parents' gift was great too. It's just-" he began before stopping and looking down at the Greengrass present currently on his wrist. "When Ron turned seventeen his parents gave him a watch. He explained the significance and I guess I was a bit jealous. I wanted one but knew it wasn't going to happen. I wasn't even sure I would make it to seventeen."

He turned his gaze back to her. "And now I have two," he said in wonderment.

She smiled and looked into his eyes, her gaze only broken when she heard the opening notes of 'Day Tripper' in her periphery. She looked to see that a live band she hadn't noticed before had begun playing.

"Tonks mentioned they have a band who plays Beatles songs here every Thursday," Harry informed. "I thought you'd like it."

"I love it but it's your birthday, Harry," she confirmed. "We're supposed to be doing things you like."

"We are," he said simply, smiling and nodding along to the music. She fought the urge to climb across the table and attack him then and there. It was difficult.