Big Night - Part 1

The day had finally arrived. The day. The Patronus day. 

She had thought about this day so often...in such detail...it seemed unreal that it was actually going to happen. It felt like her birthday and Christmas all wrapped into one...and the only gift she was about to receive was a mediocre piece of cake. The fact that she had helped Harry get this far...that they had gotten this far...there were no words.

She was humming a happy tune as she carried her school books down the stairs in anticipation of the event. The voice of her mother stopped her as she headed toward the kitchen.

"Daphne, should I be worried?" her mother asked as she prepared to leave.

"Worried? About what?"

"You seem disturbingly cheerful," her mother explained.

"You're worried that I'm happy?" Daphne asked in confusion. "Aren't you the one constantly complaining that I don't smile enough?"

"Harry seems to have cured you of that condition which is precisely why I'm worried." At Daphne's questioning look she continued.

"I remember what it was like when I was your age and knew I was going to be alone with your father with no parents around," she explained. "Your father would wear a look eerily similar to your's anticipating the things we would be getting up to while we were alone."

Daphne stared...not sure whether to be more horrified at the fact her mother was asking about her sex life or providing insight on her own. She opened her mouth but no words came out.

"Daphne?"

"No!" she finally blurted. "I'm just going to be doing homework and Harry is going to have a go at making a cake."

Her mother raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "Is 'making a cake' a euphemism for something else?"

Before she could reply Astoria entered the room, grinning from ear to ear. "She's telling the truth Mum. Daphne hasn't been able to shut up about it. She and Harry are just that boring."

"Thank you so much Tori," Daphne drawled before she continued her explanation. "Harry has always wanted to but his relatives would never allow it. I told him he could try while he stayed with us."

"You know I actually believe you," her mother said with a smile. "I'm not sure whether I should be relieved or worried you are so well behaved."

"Don't worry Mum," Astoria reassured. "If I'm ever here alone with a boy we will definitely not be doing homework or making cake."

"Lovely," her mother replied insincerely. "As always Astoria you have the subtlety of a bludger. You could really learn a lesson from your sister."

"Thank you Mum," Daphne stated. "Besides, I would never try that here. The house elves tell you everything."

"Ah, there is the calculating Daphne I know so well. See Astoria? Daphne only pretends to be boring."

Astoria waved her hands dismissively as she walked toward her mother. "Rosie would never tell my secrets."

Her mother's eyes gleamed, reminding Daphne where Astoria inherited that mischievous look. "Rosie!" she called.

The diminutive elf popped in, a warm smile on her face. "Yes Mistress?"

"Are you keeping secrets for Astoria?" her mother asked, smirking at Astoria.

"Yes Mistress," Rosie replied nervously.

"I will not ask you to tell me the secrets you know Rosie," she assured, drawing relieved expressions from Astoria and the elf. "But if you are asked to do so again you will come to me immediately and tell me everything you know."

"Mother!" Astoria protested. "Don't listen to her Rosie!" she pleaded.

"Rosie is sorry Miss Tori but Rosie must obey Mistress," she said resignedly.

"You should consider yourself lucky I'm giving you a chance Tori. Now apologize to Rosie for giving her an order you know she can't keep."

"Sorry Rosie," she said sincerely as she leaned down and hugged the elf. "We had a good run, I suppose," she muttered sadly before she made her way to leave with her mother.

"Save some cake for us," Astoria said brightly as she grabbed hold of her mother's arm. "I've always wanted to eat food prepared by a dark lord slayer."

"Technically Harry is just a co-dark lord slayer," her mother corrected as they apparated away with a wave and a dignified crack.

"Idiots," Daphne muttered affectionately to herself as she sat down and started on her Ancient Runes work. She smiled as she realized the assignment dealt with focus runes and began humming again. Today was going to be a good day.