twenty eight

I wake up to the sound of Snape's monotone voice. He's saying something to Madam Pomfrey, probably asking about my progress. I make eye contact with my uncle and he immediately stops talking, making it seem like he doesn't want me to hear whatever conversation he was having.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asks me as he walks towards me.

"How do you think?" I say groggily with a hint of irritation in my voice.

"Well, I see your snarkyness is still intact," he responds.

"It sounds like you've been struggling for quite a while."

I don't confirm or deny his statement. Instead, I roll over in bed so that I don't have to look him in the eye and choose to sit there in awkward silence. I really don't want to be having this conversation with uncle Sev. He's always been supportive of me in his own way, but he really is not exactly the warmest person ever. Actually, many people would describe him as emotionally cold.

"You don't want to talk about this with me," he states, breaking the silence.

I wonder what gave that away.

"You need to eat to live. You can't keep going this way. You need to take care of yourself. And I'll help you in any way I can," he says. "And you're lucky I stopped Poppy from sending an owl to your mother, Thisbe. But I'll be quick to send one myself if you don't comply."

I don't respond. This is the most vulnerable we've ever been with each other, and it feels incredibly uncomfortable. I don't know what to say to him. I can tell by the tone of his voice that he really does care. I realize that even though my parents may not care about me, I at least have two people in my life that do. Him and Draco.

Draco. Shit. I shouldn't have yelled at him to leave me alone. I just felt so vulnerable and I hated having him see me that way. But after sleeping it off, I realized that I shouldn't have been so unfair to him. He was only trying to help comfort me, and I shooed him away as if he was a bothersome fly.

"Thank you, Uncle Sev," I finally respond. "And I promise I'll try my best. Would you mind telling Draco to come visit me? I could really use his company."

"Yes. I'll tell him now," he responds and starts walking out of the infirmary.

About 10 minutes later, I hear footsteps entering the hospital wing.

"Bee?" I hear a familiar voice

"I'm sorry-" I begin to say, but I'm cut off by Draco.

"You don't have to be, Thisbe. I'm hear now. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay."