CHAPTER 12

HLONELA

It's been a month since I had moved to an apartment around Durban North because regardless of everything , it wouldn't have been fair of me to move my kids far away from their family and i also missed Durban. I was busy cleaning while the kids watched cartoons in the lounge. A knock came through, i opened and was met by Gabi. She looked awful with all the bruises on her face.

Gabi : "Hey cuz."  She tried to smile but she looked in so much pain.

Me : "Gabisile! What happened to you!?!"  Her little boy was next to her , hiding behind her leg. The boy looked roughly Nkosenye's age.

Gabi : "Can i come in ?"

Me : "uhm yeah sure. Sorry." I led them to the lounge then told my kids to go play in their room , i knew Nkosenye wanted to ask questions like always but i gave him a look and they went to their room.

Me : "Can i get you some tea?"

Gabi : "Yes please." I went to the kitchen and made her yea and some Nesquik for the little boy and made them something to eat. I served them then went to make myself a cup of coffee.

Me : "Oh it's okay , I'll wash them later."  I said as she wanted to wash the dishes they used after they were done.

Gabi : "Im sorry for barging in your space like this but i really needed to talk to you."

Me : "What happened to you?"

Gabi : "Look i want to apologize for everything I've ever done to you in the past growing up. I really regret that. Im sorry sis."

Me : "You apologized before Gabi and i forgave you so it's fine."

Gabi : "I need your help too." She says rubbing her hands together shivering.

Me : "Why are shaking?" 

Gabi : "Im fine. Don't worry." She says forcing a giggle as she scratched herself looking like a druggie.

Me : "Mmhm. What help are you looking for?"

Gabi : "I need ypu to please look after my son for sometime please." I exhale and sit properly on my sit.

Me : "Gabisile."

Gabi : "Im begging you Hlonela. I know this is too much but i really need your assistance. I can't continue putting him through pain , hes young you know."

Me : "What about your parents?"

Gabi : "You know how they always strict even when unnecessary. Please sis."

Me : "You gotta tell me your story phela."

Gabi : "My current husband is very abusive and manipulative , my parents are always siding with him just because he's a man of God. He beats me , rapes me Hlonela. He does all these painful things to me sometimes infront of my son because he doesn't care and he's not his. He recently started starving us and was constantly injecting me with drugs which is why i look like a crazy person."

Me : "That's bad. Im sorry."

Gabi : "He also hits my son. Yesterday i found him tryna rape him and i hit him with iron on his head until he got unconscious and i ran away."

Me : "How did you know this is where i lived now?"

Gabi : "Last week I saw your man , he was with y'alls kids and i asked for your address so he gave me after everything convincing him." That must be Nathi.

Me : "Oh okay."

Gabi : "If it happens that i don't come back , please take care of him and do not let anyone take him from you. Inside here are some important documents , please keep them safe." I nod feeling speechless.

Me : "Gabi , be careful please. Make sure you fight to come back cause he needs you. Please." She nods smiling faintly. She hugs her son for  long time while shedding tears. Luckily the boy doesn't decline when i take his hand and lead him to my kids room.

Me : "Nkazi. Play with your cousin I'll be back." She nods.

Nkazi : "Woza sodlala."  She takes the boys hand and they continue playing. I walk out to the living room where i find Gabi crying. I go hug her

Me : "Don't worry , you will be back. You will survive this."  She nods.

Gabi : "I feel like a bad mother. My baby is suffering all because of my choices and decisions." She says wiping her tears.

Me : "Don't beat be yourself up. You did what you thought was good for the both of you , you did the best you could."

Gabi : "Thanks. I gotta go now."  We hug tightly then i walk her out. I get back inside the house and make a call to my grandfather , Gasa and tell him everything. He was the only person i could think of that could help Gabi since they were once buddies.

Gasa : "don't worry , I'll sort it out." He hangs up.

__________

Please vote and comment your thoughts.