Chapter 29 (Forgiveness)

Andrew looked at Emma's pale face and her exhausted body leaning against the wall. He hugged her without saying a word. Emma's small body almost disappeared between his arms. Emma hugged him back and pressed her fingers into his back while crying.
Emma: Did you remember everything?
Andrew: Yes
Emma: When?
Andrew: Since about a month now.
Emma swallowed and removed her hands from his back. She moved away from him and looked at him with accusing eyes. She sat down on the sofa, leaning against the wall. Andrew closed the door and sat on the chair next to her. Emma continued to look at him with a cold and rigid expression.

Andrew: Emma, I know it wasn't the best decision, but it was the only thing I could think of to save you and our family.
Emma: From what?
Emma's tone was still cold and rigid.
Andrew: The men who tried to kill me must have been working for Tom. If they find out that I remember, they'll come after me again or hurt one of you. I had to do it to protect you and our baby.
Emma: Then why did you come here?
Andrew: I found out from Peter that you were in the hospital and...
Emma: And almost had a miscarriage! Do you think what you did saved us? You hurt me the most and almost killed our child. There's no difference between you and Tom.
Andrew knelt in front of her and held her hands, despite her attempts to pull away.

Andrew: Emma, please don't compare me to him. I swear I did everything to save you, and that was the only thing that came to my mind that day.
Emma: Do you even know how much I suffered? Do you remember how you treated me the last time we saw each other? How could you stay away and not even apologize?
Andrew didn't know what to say, but the tears in his eyes showed how he felt.
Emma: Weren't you worried about me or the baby all that time? You can't imagine how much I've suffered these past two months, Andrew.
Andrew: I was always with you, Emma. Do you know how many times I came here and almost knocked on the door, but I backed out at the last minute? I was watching you all the time. There were men everywhere, both inside and outside the building, just to protect and check on you. Didn't you notice the electricians and water workers who came by frequently? I was with them, I was causing problems in the building just to bring them here and come with them to check on you. But you never noticed me because you were sitting so far away.

Emma looked at him questioningly.
Andrew: I was trying to satisfy myself by seeing you, Emma. I know it's not enough, but I didn't know what else to do.
Emma laughed bitterly.
Emma: Are you waiting for me to excuse you and hug you now? It doesn't make a difference, Andrew. I didn't feel your presence. You weren't here when I was suffering. You didn't support me when I was feeling nauseous or dizzy, and you didn't even come with me to the doctor. Why is it that every man in my life make me suffer?
Andrew: Emma, I know there's no convincing reason for you, but I've told you many times that I didn't see any other solution. Nothing else came to my mind.
Emma's tone started to get angry and she stopped crying.

Emma: Why didn't you tell me then? Why didn't you tell your wife about this plan instead of leaving her to live through all that hell?
Andrew: I don't know, maybe I thought I wouldn't be able to control myself if you knew and you would be with me all the time, or try to take you back home, but both are dangerous for you because they are always tracking me. I don't know if they are tracking me today or not, but I have ordered an increase in security. And if I took you home, they would definitely realize that I remember. I couldn't think of anything else, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything, sorry for the pain and suffering, but I was helpless, Emma. I don't even have any proof to incriminate them. Please, forgive me, Emma.
Emma: Do... do you even believe what you're saying?
Andrew: Emma, I...

Andrew couldn't finish his sentence because Emma suddenly ran to the bathroom. He followed her, worried, and found her vomiting. He slowly sat next to her, grabbed her hair in one hand, and stroked her back softly. After Emma finished, Andrew held her and hugged her tightly, despite her weak attempts to push him away. Emma eventually gave up and hugged him back, burying her head in his chest. Andrew slowly carried her to the room, put her softly on the bed, and covered her. He got up to find her medication and see if she needed to take any. He found one to be taken after about 30 minutes and put it on the table before making her a sandwich to eat before taking the medicine.
Emma: I don't want to, I have no appetite. Thanks.
Andrew: Come on, Emma. You should eat for your health and our baby. Come on.