20. Festival Day 1

"So," Danny turned to Jason after the crowd dispersed, the Mayor's speech now over, "tomorrow's face painting and pumpkin carving!"

"Yeah, the Mayor just said so," but looking at her suggestive eyebrows Jason internally groaned, "and that means your grinning like the Cheshire cat, why?"

"Because there's a chance I'll be able to paint your face," Danny's green eyes were practically sparkling as she spoke, "so what'll it be cowboy, a little kitty or a puppy dog?"

He groaned again.

"Oh come on," she wrapped her arms around Jason's, practically dragging across the ground as he continued like a brick wall. "It would be fu~un," she sang.

He stopped, catching Danny before she fell on her head, which, as funny as it would be to watch her face-plant onto concrete, he'd like to live to see tomorrow, "No way,"

Cocking an eyebrow, she laughed, "You scared?"

"Not a kitty or a puppy dog!" He widened his eyes, hands covering his face in mock horror before dropping the look, "Scared? Yeah right."

Danny turned to him with an amused look, "Well then what would you suggest I do?"

"Something not childish or degrading," Jason crossed his arms, switching to the streetside when they crossed, earning a soft 'how gentlemanly' from Danny.

"Whatever you want I'll do it for you," she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Fine," he huffed out, her eyes boring holes in his head, "but if it looks stupid I'm taking it off."

"Wouldn't expect anything else," Danny grinned again, grabbing his hand, "now come on, we better get the Fall Festival schedule before we head back. Wouldn't want miss anything!"

(next day, Festival Opening Day)

Jason's eyes roamed the crowd of people lining the closed-off road, colorful booths and fall leaves littered across Cedar Wood's Main Street.

Smells of rain from last night lingered, though the townsfolk and tourists didn't let the grey skies get to them, if anything it made the atmosphere more fun and lively-

Feeling a body bump into him, Jason swung a nine-year-old boy back upright before he fell, "Woah there, slugger!"

"Sorry Mister," the kid laughed despite the close call, Sergant wagging his tail, "I was running from my older brother Jake."

"Were you now," Jason grinned, "I remember running from my older brother once upon a time- Well," he interrupted himself, putting his hands in his pockets, "it could've been last month for all I know. I've got a case of amnesia."

"Oh," the boy tilted his head, patting Sergant on the head, "Miss Stephanie mentioned you."

"She did?" Jason raised his eyebrows

"Yeah," the kid nodded vigorously, a teasing smile on his face, "your Danny's boyfriend, right?"

"Miguel!" A voice called, its owner walking up to the boy and saving Jason from any further embarrassment. "You better not be bothering this nice young man."

Miguel's mother, Jason assumed, chided the boy, her warm caramel skin and hazel eyes setting off nicely against her lavender blouse.

"I'm so sorry if he was bothering you," wrapping a slender arm around Miguel's shoulder, she turned to Jason, rosy red lips brought up in a smile,

"Not a chance," Jason ruffled Miguel's hair, both laughing, "he was fine."

"Mhm," Miguel looked up at his mom, "Mister saved me from splatting on the pavement."

"And does this 'Mister' have a name, or did you forget to even ask," she raised an eyebrow.

"It's alright," Jason laughed, holding a hand out to her, "I'm Jason."

"Nice to meet you, Jason, I'm Rosa Alvera," her soft hand gripped his warmly, eyes crinkling "Don's wife. He spoke highly of you and Danny."

"Speaking of," she laughed, eyes down the road, "I think she's waiting for you."

Turning around Jason found she was right, Danny standing with a hand suspended in the air, raised in greeting with an inviting smile gracing her features.

"So she is," he grinned, "so she is."

"Well then," Rosa adjusted her purse, "we'll see you later. Say goodbye, Miguel."

"Bye, Mr. Jason!" He waved.

"See you all later." Jason gave his farewell as he made his way over to Danny, unable to help his smile as he stood in front of her.

"Hey," he smiled.

"Hey yourself," she adjusted her paints, "having a fun time?"

Jason shrugged, "You could say that."

And neither admitted that their hearts skipped a beat, chalking up their flushed cheeks to the chilly weather.