25. Sunset Shenanigans

Jason took a breath of the fresh sunset air, watching the sky's colors mold into a golden amber hue. It was a gorgeous color, one he knew he wouldn't forget as he watched the animals race ahead, Danny's golden hair seeming like fire in the low light.

It was quiet for a while, the only sound being the crunch of leaves and twigs under their feet, the occasional sound from Sarge, Loki, or Finch.

Speaking of, the bird seemed to take to Jason once more, riffling its beak through his hair as Jason's fingers combed through its feathers. He didn't really mind it anymore, knowing Danny had said it was done out of affection.

Besides, it wasn't agitating his headache, so he guessed it was alright to let Finch continue.

"It's always so beautiful at sunset," Danny inhaled a big breath of the cool breeze, a content expression on her face, "it's also the reason I take most walks in the backyard. Feels fulfilling, if that makes sense."

"Your backyard is an entire fricking forest," Jason looked up at the treetops above them, chuckling, "so I'd say it's going to feel nice no matter what."

"Touché," Danny smiled, running a hand through her loose hair when the dog and cat trotted up to her, "hey, guys, you having fun?"

Loki rubbed his side against Danny's legs before going in between Jason's, somehow not tripping the man.

"I'd say so," Jason snickered, lifting the cat into his arms like a baby, "isn't that right, Lokes?"

'Mreow," the cat purred in return, sticking his nose to Jason's before hopping down. Watching him and the bird race off again to who knows where Jason was impressed that they didn't need a leash: Danny said they'd always come back to her no matter what.

"Glad to see you guys are getting along," her eyes laughed, ", especially with Sarge."

Looking down at the animal in question, Jason and Sarge eyed each other before Jason shrugged, "Yeah, we have a mutual understanding."

"About what?" She laughed, "Though I'm not complaining."

The two culprits seemed to smile at each other before running off, feet and paws taking off like rockets simultaneously, leaving Danny in the dust.

"Hey!" she raced after, giggles taken away with the wind.

"Wait for me, dorks!"

(____)

Jason leaned against a tree, feeling the rough bark through his shirt as he crossed his arms, attempting to calm his breathing and act cool.

Hearing a crunch come from beside him, he grinned as Danny came into view, impressed with how fast she was.

He had to put on the gas just to keep a few feet out of her reach.

But seeing that she had no intention of slowing down, she barreled into him, Jason holding her to his chest as they slipped onto the grass and dirt.

"Your lucky I tripped on that root at the starting line," Danny huffed and punched his shoulder, though couldn't hide the amusement hidden in her eyes.

"I was waiting hours for you," he grinned roguishly, "what took so dam long?"

"I'll have you know you little schist," Danny poked his cheek, trying not to laugh, "that I am in fact a great runner when I'm not falling over."

"Yeah, yeah," Jason waved his hand in a limp motion, "whatever you say."

"Dork," she rolled her eyes, shifting her weight atop him.

And Jason found himself smiling at her response, staring deeply into her green eyes, finding flecks and ravines in them he couldn't see unless he was this close. Danny replied by confidently meeting his gaze, committing every toxic green speck in his intense teal iris' to memory.

Blushing with how close they were, neither felt the need to pull away, smiles only widening as the sun began to set.

"Hi," she smiled shyly.

"Hi, yourself," his voice was soft, a laugh lingering in his grin.

Sliding off his chest, Danny propped her head on his shoulder, looking up at the stars beginning to peek through the trees above, "Look, the sky's awake."

"Did you just quote a Disney movie?" Jason glanced down at her, not sure how he remembered that but amused all the same.

"Maybe," she shrugged, looking back at Jason and snuggling closer in response.

Shifting comfortably, the two let their eyes wander across the night, content with the silence and twinkling stars above them.