23. The Supreme Pumpkin

Every time Danny looked up at Jason she couldn't help but smile at her handiwork, the green and yellow colors painted in the shape of a domino mask, the yellow being the scales and 'horns' of the dinosaur.

He had protested at the idea of her choosing a surprise, but Danny had to admit it looked really fun in the end at letting him choose, feeling a glint of triumph at his child-like smile when she passed him the mirror.

Danny herself did the classic butterfly wings around her eyes.

But that was long forgotten at the moment as Mr. Rodgers, the man who gratefully set up the booth, walked around, eyes lingering on each pumpkin entry.

Danny really wanted to win, though the chances slimmed as Jason's entry got a sly smile from the judge.

"I bet you'll get first," Danny whispered, nudging Jason in the side.

"Willing to bet money on it?" He whispered back, a schist-eating grin on his face again.

"And now," the two paused in their elbow-shoving contest as Mr. Rodgers held up ribbons, "our fourth-place winner is going to our very own Doctor Danny Walker!"

Slipping the ribbon onto her pumpkin, Mr. Rodgers shook Danny's hand, "Congratulations, kiddo."

Danny patted her pumpkin humorously, "We did our best, sir."

"I didn't expect anything less," the older man chuckled, her competitive nature something the whole town knew about her, "you did well."

Clapping his hands together, quieting down the voices of congratulations, third place was called, "Michael Evans!"

A young man with brown hair and blue eyes head shot up, surprise clear on his stunned face.

"Who's that," Jason questioned.

"He did the werewolf pumpkin over there," Danny pointed, "he's going to work at the Clinic soon as an intern."

Jason nodded but fidgeted with his fingers, watching like a hawk, waiting to find out if he was going to get a ribbon.

"Don't worry," Danny murmured, linking her arms through his, "I'm sure you'll do well, there's no way you won't win anything."

"I still feel like you're not telling me everything."

"Weeell," Danny drew out, Jason furrowing his brows.

"Weeell, what?"

She leaned her cheek against his arm, "Old Man Ashley has won 1st place 6 years in a row, he does the pumpkins almost as well as any professional."

Jason rubbed a hand across his face, "Yikes."

"Hey," Danny hip-checked him, encouragement clear in her eyes, "don't go doubting yourself yet, Mister."

Jason grinned, "I guess."

He'd be confident, yeah, he could do that.

"And for 1st and 2nd place," Mr. Rodgers' silver eyes crinkled at the edges, a bright look in them as he pulled out the ribbons, "First place goes to Jason! Congratulations, kid!"

Jason's cheeks lifted as he grinned widely, watching Mr. Rodgers stick the ribbon to the skull pumpkin.

"Any words for the previous champ," an older man clapped Jason on the shoulder, the two locking eyes.

"Not really," Jason shrugged, "just kind of went with it."

Old Man Ashley laughed, a full belly laugh that rumbled in his chest, "Well said, my boy, well said. All us artists do is just free the subject from its cage, nothing more nothing less. We're just the tool."

"Yep," Jason shook the man's hand, smiling, "couldn't have done anything without the pumpkin."

Patting his shoulder one last time, Old Man Ashley made his way to Mr. Rodgers, leaving Jason with a bouncing Danny.

"Told you you could do it," she wiggled her eyebrows.

Jason nudged her, rolling his eyes but smiling nonetheless.