30. First-Round Results

"Team Snitches," they snapped their worried gazes up to Don and Mayor Eliza, "we've decided that your dessert..."

____

"-has been perfectly executed," Mayor Eliza finished, smile widening as Danny subtly jumped up and down, Jason rubbing her arm with a look of pride.

"Good job, Danny," Don whispered, eyes sparkling, glad they had done well, "you too, Jason."

"Thank you, sir," Jason nodded back, trying to keep the smile from ripping his face apart as he and Danny walked back to their station. They had enough time to freak out while Team Livery went up, mini donuts with sprinkles on their plates.

"I can't believe we're doing this," Danny said again, eyes wide in disbelief, "Antonio's definitely going to freak out!"

"I wonder when I'm going to meet this Antonio," Jason smirked, wiping down the counter, "he sounds very special."

She rolled her eyes, smacking his arm, "He was going to come up for the Festival but had some problems with one of the bedroom ceilings leaking. He just had to do it himself-"

Jason laughed, "Seems like you both have quite the stubborn streak."

"You have no idea," Danny threw her arms up, amused, "I inherited it from my family, but he had just as much to do with it as they did." 

She laughed, "Antonio told me he learned it growing up with my mom, they were the 'dynamic duo from Crime Alley' as my dad liked to say. They came a really long way from nothing to something."

Jason felt a tug in his chest at something but the voice of Don grabbed his and Danny's attention, announcing the start of the next and final round.

"For the title of 'Baking Masters' of the Festival," he spread an arm out to showcase a silver trophy now on the table behind him, "we'll give you all two hours to make a full-sized dessert. You can pull inspiration from our beautiful fall surroundings, or even your previous mini-bake."

"It's totally up to you," he smiled, looking to the clock as the time racked up, "now on your mark, get set-"

"Go!"

Danny quickly turned to Jason, breath already picking up speed, "Okay, what's the plan, Bossman?"

"Bossman?" He quirked an eyebrow, lips twitching into a smirk.

She rolled her eyes for the millionth time that day, poking his chest firmly, "Yeah, Bossman. Seeing as how you've had a plan from the start, and all I've done is be dragged into this with no ideas, I'd think you'd have a battle plan."

"I was thinking you'd have a recipe you wanted to do if I let you know beforehand," Jason smiled reassuringly, "but I took one from the box of recipes you let me look through. You know, the other day."

It was Danny's turn to quirk a brow. "Is that why you asked to look at them?"

"Maybe, maybe not," Jason continued pulling ingredients into his arms, reaching into his pocket and handing Danny an old notecard. She recognized the worn edges and elegantly messy handwriting, writing she's seen on many birthday cards, grocery lists, and sticky notes during her early childhood.

"Dad's salted caramel and apple pie," her eyes glistened with tears, "I remember he made it every-"

"-every Festival," Jason finished for her, eyes gentle.

"You remembered," she whispered, looking up at him with a new feeling in her chest.

"Of course I did," he mumbled, hiding his face as he grabbed more ingredients, "I listen to all the stories you tell me."

Looking back up at Danny's soft touch, his cheeks grew warm as she spoke, "That's the sweetest thing, Jay."

"Now c'mon," Jason ducked his head and smiled, "we got a baking competition to win."

"Sure thing, Bossman."

"Ok, you seriously need to stop calling me that," he laughed.