37. Playlists and Garage Sparring

Jason laid in his bed comfortably, the image of watching the fireflies with Danny still imprinted in his eyes. The sight almost deserved to be photographed, he thought, sighing in content as his head plopped onto the pillow.

It was something else here in Maine and he knew relaxing didn't come easy to him, a gut feeling saying that 'peace and quiet' was a foreign concept in his forgotten life. But she made it easy with just dinner and watching the fireflies. He wished it could've lasted longer.

Smiling, his eyes began to droop, finally drifting off and falling into the deep sleep he needed.

"Jay, wake up!"

Jason grunted as a weight landed on his chest, moving up, down, and side to side enthusiastically.

"Whaaat," he dragged out, voice husky.

"You need to get up," Danny's cheery voice left him throwing his blanket back over his head. How could she be so cheery? "Just let me sleep for a few more minutes, you heathen," he grumbled into his pillow, leeching out its remaining warmth.

"C'mon, you said you'd be my workout buddy," she wiggled him back and forth, "wake. up. Jason-"

Peering out from under the pillow that sat atop his bed head and hid his face from the world, "honestly forgot about that," he spoke unapologetically.

"Of course, you did," Danny laughed, pushing the pillow and blanket off while smoothing back his hair, "you need to brush your hair."

Jason sighed, letting out a grunt as he rolled over, "Just give me, like, five minutes."

"Just five," she poked his forehead teasingly with a bold smirk, "and if you're not in the garage by then I'm dragging your ass across the floor like a ragdoll."

"I doubt you'd be able to drag me," he plopped his face back in the warm dent of the pillowcase, "I'm all pure muscle," he flexed.

Copying the motion Danny returned a smile at his muffled grumbling, "Who says that I can't?"

"Touché," Jason yawned, finally managing to get the motivation to stand up. He stretched, a couple of pops and cracks sounding before sighing.

Heading into the bathroom, he heard Danny call out before leaving the room.

"Five. Minutes!"

-... .-. . .- -.-

"I thought we agreed on not being late," Danny huffed, raising a skeptical brow at Jason's appearance in the doorway.

"Give me a break," he replied with a yawn. "I mean, it was only by like five minutes. Besides, I'm here now."

"But you do know," she let it go with a sly grin, "that if you do it again I'm just gonna kick your ass and assume you gave up."

"Since when do I ever give up?" he smirked, arms crossed over his sleeveless tank top.

"Eh, good point," Danny agreed.

Jason flicked her forehead gently, laughing, "Alright, enough games, let's get this show on the road so I can beat your ass."

"Dork," she mumbled under her breath with a smirk and pulled out her phone, shaking her head. Setting it up in the speaker next to her, scrolling through playlist after playlist, the screen light illuminated her green eyes. 

Finally settling on some music, she turned to him, "I've got Green Day, AC/DC, Rolling Stones... anything you want?"

Jason grinned, wrapping up his hands for sparring, "You already know it."

Danny grinned back as she set down her phone and rolled her shoulders, loosening up for the upcoming task with a glint in her eye. "Ready?" she asked, bouncing on her feet and making her way to the center of the blue mats.

"I've been ready all morning," Jason teased, cracking his neck as he prepared himself.

"Bring it on."