39. Festival Day 3

The warmth of the shower had eased Jason's tense muscles from the spar, enjoying every second the water rinsed the sweat off him. It was a familiar motion he knew. He didn't have to remember it as he ran his fingers through his hair, the routine well, feeling like a routine, as he slipped a shirt over his head.

Inhaling deeply the bed creaked with his weight before he slid a pair of shoes over black socks, thinking back to the fight. He was really impressed with how he and Danny kept up with each other, a lingering feeling of pride sitting in his chest. 

Along with the pain and light bruising Danny's fist left behind that is.

Hearing the nearby shower turn off again, no doubt Danny rinsing off all the grime and sweat they earned during their workout, Jason lazily made his way to the kitchen. 

Shoving a granola bar into his mouth he chewed lightly, glancing at the front of the fridge. He touched the schedule flyer for the Fall Festival, days one and two crossed out with a pen. Day three, today, was labeled 'Fall Games', a short description of what was to come in smaller text on the paper's backside.

Join us from 5 pm-12 pm as we go Haybale Bowling, play Pumpkin Golf, and ride the giant Ferris wheel for this year's Fall Festival Fall Games. Food, fun, and games are already here so all you need is to bring yourself! We can't wait to see you there!

"It's going to be so much fun," Danny's voice came from behind him, quiet steps sounding.

"Sure seems like it," Jason turned to look at her, finding her wearing black leggings, a green hoodie, and fuzzy socks with boots. He himself was wearing a grey t-shirt, black jeans, work boots, and a hoodie of his own.

"Guess we're matching today," she smiled, placing a book on the counter.

"When did you have time to grab that?" Jason gestured to the item, "You left it in the car and wouldn't have time to grab it, you never walked past me either?"

Danny seemed to get nervous, smiling anxiously for some reason, "Guess I'm just that quiet. Now," she changed the subject, "I have a shift at the Clinic today, but I'll be back at 6 so it'll leave us plenty of time for the fall Games and arcade."

"Actually," Jason took the car keys from her, grabbing a jacket from the coat rack, "why don't I drive you to work?"

Danny flushed, grabbing her scarf and tag, "Sure, why not."

-... .-. . .- -.-

Jason and Danny shared a quick fist bump as they stood in front of the clinic, "So you get off at six, right?"

She nodded, "Yep, and if you need anything you know where to find me."

Smiling, he tipped an invisible hat, "See you later, ma'am."

"See you later, dork," Danny laughed, tying her blonde hair up in a ponytail as she walked to the door, "have a good day!"

"You too," he waved, shoving his hands in his pockets as she left his view.

Now what?

The thought came to Jason slowly, maybe a walk would be nice? 

Turning around and choosing a random street he shoved his hands in his hoodie, the surroundings starting to turn recognizable as the minutes passed. Fiddling with a thick wad of twenties he wondered why they were on his person the first day he met Danny. 

He always kept it on his person just in case anything ever happened. Following the familiar string lights Jason found himself on Main Street, walking past shop after shop. Pushing the questions about himself to the side he couldn't help but feel a sense of deja vu, his pathing almost just like that afternoon with Danny.

But then an idea made his eyes crinkle at the edges, a warm and inviting sign of a certain shop sign seeming to wink as he stopped in his tracks.

Might as well do something with this cash, right?