36. Dinner's On Me

Danny was busy in the kitchen, preparing everything for dinner, grabbing the pasta and meat from their respective places in the fridge and pantry. Seeing Jason through the window though she had to stifle a laugh. 

What? She couldn't help but smile as she watched him!

His arms were full of tomatoes as he ran towards the cat, disappearing from view before sprinting back the other way, Loki now on his shoulders as he grinned. 

It was very much like in a certain show Danny watched years ago; one with two princes, an elf, and a glowing frog, she laughed. Though the scene in front of her seemed even more absurd.

Slamming open, the screen door closed as Jason let out a breath, "Okay, I wasn't sure how many tomatoes you wanted so I just grabbed an armful."

"Thanks, Jay," she took the fruits from his hands and began to rinse them in the sink, "do you think you could grab me some basil too?"

"Sure." Jason trotted back down the wooden yard stairs, heading off to the herb she needed.

The minutes ticked after he came back and began to chop, cut, or stir whatever Danny needed or directed him to, herself now draining the ready pasta separately from the water. She left a little in, wanting to keep making a creamy sauce out of it, a few more minutes going by before she was done.

Jason honestly quite liked helping out, maybe he could make a hobby out of cooking? Or if he didn't have a job by the time he remembered everything, who knew, maybe he could take up a chef role? He chuckled, that sounded interesting.

"Here we go," Danny finished grating a bit of extra cheese on the top, lifting the platter in her arms before Jason took hold of it for her. She then grabbed some plates and forks hurriedly, trying to avoid stepping on Loki and Sarge as they followed behind.

"Darn it," she dropped one of the forks, failing to catch it with her foot. Jason laughed, nudging the door open with his foot as he Danny stepped out into the evening air, "After you, my lady."

"Why thank you," she fake curtseyed as much as she could considering her hands carried the dinnerware and plates, she didn't want to drop another one again.

Sitting atop the deck stairs she leaned against a wooden post frame, patting the spot next to her as Jason smiled, placing the platter of pasta in front of them. Sitting down before filling his and Danny's plates, he shook his head, "This looks really good, Danny."

"I did have a good sous chef to assist," she gestured to him, pulling a fork from seemingly out of nowhere and taking a mouthful, "so I can't take all the credit."

"Deserve it anyway," he hummed as he took a delicious bite before his gaze grew curious, "but where'd you get the fork?" He was going to grab her a new one after a teasing bite, but she had another one out of nowhere.

Clearing her throat she threw him a smile, "Had it in my back pocket." Danny shifted in her seat when the fireflies caught her eye, shifting his attention "Hey, look."

"Wha- wow," Jason looked up in amazement as fireflies danced around intricately, bringing a bright contrast to the darkness around them. The slow yellow blinking is almost nostalgic. "I've never been back here after dark, I never noticed..."

"They're like the stars of the grass," Danny chuckled when his words died out, eyes glittering with their light and the enjoyment of them.

"Yeah," Jason looked back up at them. 

"They sure are."