Chapter Thirteen

"My Aan, open your eyes." A voice whispers in my ears, like the breath of life itself. A whistling heavy sigh releasing all her breath at once. I blink several times trying to look past the bright yellow light blazing high above me.

I'm in a lovely field of brilliant dark green grass, long enough to brush my cheeks, there are thousands of different colored roses all around me. Some were in bushes as wide as cars, and others were just these little stems poking out of the ground and spinning higher and higher until they dropped downwards their petals slightly damp and dripping water into the soil like little fountains in a garden. The smell swirls around me, a deafening scent of flowers and water.

Behind me, I feel a presence, and a hand slips into mine, squeezing lightly. Their back pressed against mine. I glance back and see Luna her brilliant yellow hair even brighter than the sunlight above. Her head tilts just enough that her blue eyes reflect the sky above. She's dressed in blue and reds and violets, a fairytale princess brought to life.

She takes a long deep breath, leaning the back of her head against mine, her other hand gripping mine so that we are back to back in a circle together. Her voice is low and soft with a hint of anguish, and tribulation. "I suppose this is a goodbye."

"Luna?" I tighten my hold on her, fingers digging into her palms, "What do you mean goodbye?"

Her eyes don't stray from the sky, not once. "Look up at the sun..."

I focus my gaze on what was the sun but is no longer a wisp of light and fire but a glowing wiggling cage that glows just as bright as it did, but it feels sinister in nature. I let out a hot breath, "What is that?" It's beautiful and yet dangerous and terrifying.

Luna lets go and stands up. I spin around, grabbing her legs and clawing up her dress to cling to her. "Luna!?"

She intertwines her fingers through my hair, "I must go back, it's calling to my soul."

"No! No!" I beg, clinging to her like life itself. "You can't go! You can't! We have to go back home! To go back to school, eat lunch together, talk about the weather, and read books. Laugh... and... and breath... and live..."

Luna doesn't look at me, but I can see her blue eyes fuzzy with tears. "It is where I go whenever I have to leave. I can't go back with you. Never again can I be Luna." She slowly prys my fingers, one by one. The pain strikes hot iron in my chest, as she steps back. "I must go, to prepare and to be ready for the next vessel."

"No... please don't go!" I fall forward, unable to move my numb legs. I glance back and watch as the roses intertwine locking me in place.

"Do you trust me, My Aan?"

"Of course!"

"Then heed my words. Trust Allishea."

"Trust her? But she let you die!"

She shakes her head, "It was my time." Slowly she curls up on herself becoming a ball of light darting towards the cage above.

"Luna!!!" My raw voice echoes around me, my body falling and jolting me awake. I land heavily on wood, my nose aching from my screaming, the falling, and snotty tears. My cold body is wet with sweat, and my shaking hands can't even grip the air.

Luna... I had a nightmare about her...

Birds chirp a song, so slow and sweet like springtime swing. A scent much like sweet cherries drifts around me. It rouses me, and I slowly sit up to glance out the open window.