💙Read to sleep-Sonadow🖤

Story: Chapter 11, https://www.obooko.com/free-romance-books/wrong-husband-nordin

-Shadow-

My mind ached as I sat at the edge of my bed, rubbing my face with a sigh. These nightmares were becoming too much for me to handle. I looked over to the sleeping blue hedgehog beside me, noting his peaceful breath. I quietly reached for a book, resting my pillow to sit up and have a read. I was used to little sleep at times, plus, I had nowhere to be tomorrow. But the sound of a hum caught my ears, noticing the blue hedgehog turn over. Resting his arm across my body. With a sigh I gently patted his quills, shifting so he could curl up against me. But also, allow me to focus on my book.

It wasn't long till it seemed I disturbed him, hearing him stir. "You're up.... Already? What time is it?" He mumbled, clearly not all there. "2 in the morning Sonic... You can sleep... I'll try to keep you undisturbed." I spoke, petting his back quills with my claws. "Mmh.. What're you reading?" He asked, turning himself to see the pages. "The wrong husband, by Ruth Ann Nordin." I answered, turning the page. "Hm, would you read it to me?... I don't mind the plot... It's just nice hearing you talk... Especially when I hear it against your chest." He asked, laying his head on my chest comfortably. I thought for a moment, before restarting the chapter. "Two hours later, Jenny was working on a baby gown for one of the better well-to-do new mothers in town when a loud rapping at the door made her bolt in surprise. She accidentally pricked her finger with the needle." I began, hearing his breath relax in bliss. "'Ouch.' She sucked on her finger and set aside the thimble and clothing so she could answer the door." I continued. "What's a thimble?" He asked. "It tends to be a plastic or metal little cylinder to protect your fingers while sewing." I answered, watching the gears turn in his head before nodding me to continue. "Jeremy got up from where he was playing with his toys and followed her. Jenny's heart raced at the rapid pounding at the door. Did something happen to Owen or one of her siblings? There was no denying that whoever on the other end considered their visit to be an emergency. 'Who is it, Ma?' 'I don't know, honey.' She could have checked through the window, but she didn't want to waste the extra couple of seconds that it would require. She opened the door and-" I stopped, hearing his soft snores.

With a chuckle, I closed the book before setting it back to the side. I didn't care for the book, I simply read it to tire me. If I was too interested, my plan would fail. Sonic never cared for books that much, but they were always a good way to make him rest. But it was clear I should get myself some sleep, slimming down to hold him close. Smelling the citrus in his quills, despite my hate of it. He always had earthy smells, but it was better than sweat I suppose. Kissing his forehead, I slowly closed my eyes as I finally rested.