Chapter 6

Your POV

I practically leapt from the ship when we got close enough to the ground, using my wings to steady and help me land. Robyn rushed towards me, her eyes widening at the sight of Nighttra in my arms. I ran past her heading straight for our infirmary. Ozma did his best to keep up with me but was still lagging behind. I slam the infirmary doors opening, startling a few of the medics as I set Nighttra down on the bed.

She groans from the sudden movement, my worry growing when I noticed that the veins were all over her body, more so the multiple on her chest leading to her heart. The medics began to tend to her just as Ozma joined us. I noticed he had a vial in his hand with a black substance in it.

"We need to get the cure into her as soon as possible." He states as a medic inserted an IV, "If the vessels reach her heart it'll stop it, killing her for the moment until the venom can spread through the rest of the body from the blood vessels. Once it's consumed her she'll come back as a fully fledged grimm huntress."

One of the medics handed him one of the IV tubes, allowing him to hook up the small vial. I watched while the liquid made it's way down the clear tube and into her arm. Once the vial was empty we watched with bated breath. After a few minutes however, nothing had changed. In fact the black veins were starting to pulsate.

"Ozma what's going on?"

"I-I don't know. It's never not worked before."

"Not worked?!"

"Y/N-"

"It can't not work!" I snarl slamming my hand down on a table, "My friend's life is on the line and your cure suddenly doesn't work!?"

"M-Ma'am?" One of the medics spoke, carefully placing their hand on my shoulder.

"What?!"

"You need to look at this."

She hands me the scroll which had Nighttra's vitals on it. It was displaying her cardiovascular system, showing that the grimm venom had slowed but was still active.

"What the hell?"

Ozma takes a peek at the screen, his own eyes widening, "It seems that it is working to an extent. It slowed the venom. The cure is giving us time."

"Do you have any more vials?"

"No. This is only our third batch and we didn't have much left. That's why we needed the grimm huntsmen. We can still go out and possibly find one. Perhaps if we go back to Vale-"

"Not another word." I growl getting sick of his hopeful shit, "I'm going to clear my head."

I swiftly leave the infirmary, just barely making out Ozma telling the medics to restrain Nighttra to the bed in case she turned. I head towards my room ignoring my people's worried gaze. My wings curl around me while my thoughts swirl.

I open the door to my room quickly, locking it behind me. I was trying to keep my emotions at bay, knowing that the negativity would draw in grimm. I flop down on my bed, trying to keep the negativity at bay but failing miserably. My mind was still on my bitten friend. The soft sheets of my bed lulled me into a tired state, the many ordeals from today finally catching up to me. Perhaps a nap would be enough to push away the negative thoughts. Taking a deep breath I close my eyes, letting myself drift asleep.

"I'm doing this for us!" Salem shouts at me, her red eyes glowing.

"Salem, I do not want bloodshed in my name-"

"These mortals need a steady hand to guide them. Ozma is too weak. His emotions get the better of him-"

"You forget," I interrupt her, abruptly standing and stepping towards her, "I see that man as my brother. I will not tolerate any insult towards him."

Salem scoffs, "You see him as a brother and yet you sleep with his wife? How noble and loyal of you."

My gaze darts to the floor, my mouth moving before I even realized,"You're right. We should end this then."

The pale woman's breath hitched, her eyes widening at my statement, "No. Absolutely not."

I scoff throwing up my hands, "What do you want me-"

"I want you by my side for the rest of our immortal lives." She speaks with passion cupping my cheeks, "Our children see you as another mother. They do not ask for Ozma anymore. They ask for you."

My breath hitches at the revelation, the daughters' happy faces flashing through my mind. To be honest at this point I've taken them under my wing and see them as my own. Although there was no need for Salem to bring them into this conversation, she's just trying to manipulate me to give in again.

"We're getting off track." I huff trying not to lean into her touch, "You want to wage war until you control everything. Those who oppose your rule will continue to fight. It will be never ending. I do not wish to be someone who is feared."

"We all have to make compromises Y/N."

My eyes snap open-perhaps I shouldn't take a nap.