24; miss you

THIS WORLD HASN'T BEEN FAIR
FOR A LONG TIME

❝ THIS WORLD HASN'T BEEN FAIRFOR A LONG TIME ❞

Winona woke the next morning with a ringing headache and a pit already formed in her stomach. There was no denying that she was tentative about what she needed to do that day. But it was simply what she needed to do. There was no reason for her to stick around any longer.

She had been building her points up ever since the cashier seemed to grow suspicious of her copious amounts of insulin purchases. She had just enough to add a little more to her collection and then be on her way. It was quite impressive how much she'd managed to obtain throughout her time there. She did make more points than most due to her help as both a saviour and a teacher, along with Negan's favouritism. It certainly wasn't fair, but she wouldn't argue with something that would help the health of her family.

The night before she'd gotten a little drunker than intended, hence the headache, after hearing the news. She couldn't understand why Rick would want to kill all those people. Rick wasn't evil. But she couldn't piece it together in her head no matter how hard she tried. The only idea she had was that Negan killed one of them first. She wanted to pretend that couldn't be a possibility.

Once the Savior had accidentally told the both of them the one thing they weren't supposed to know, they finished another drink on him and ditched him to run off to Sherry's room. The mood was bleak and neither of them had much to say at first, just continued pouring drinks. In the corner of her eye, she watched Sherry shake her head back and forth while taking the last swig from her glass.

"I fucking hate it here," she said.

"Oh trust me, so do I."

"Seriously." Sherry was more inebriated than her. "You know, the only reason I ever agreed to marry Negan was because my sister needed the insulin and the only way she could get it was by marrying him. She didn't want to, and I just felt terrible so I offered for her. Negan accepted my offer but he wouldn't let me see Dwight anymore."

"Wow, what a pig." She scoffed. "Of course he needs to benefit from your guy's suffering."

She nodded, staring ahead. "I think I want to leave with you."

That was the last thing Winona was expecting to hear. "What?"

She thought Sherry was much too comfortable at the Sanctuary to try to leave. From the twisted, dismal look on her friend's face, she was far from correct.

"Dwight and I can't stand it here. We want to be together. We want to be able to have the freedom to do what we want. Even if we wanted to leave, Negan won't let us anymore after the incident."

Winona sunk into her seat. Her heart wrenched, but deep down she was thrilled to have her come along. It would make things much easier. She certainly didn't want to put her at risk, knowing the danger of what she was doing, but in the end it was Sherry's call. If she was unhappy, she was unhappy.