10; setback

I'M NOTHING WITHOUT MY PEOPLE

❝ I'M NOTHING WITHOUT MY PEOPLE ❞

As Winona walked down the hallway, after nearly an hour of meandering on her own, she caught sight of Negan in an empty room with the door left open. He was tapping his fingers against the window sill as he gazed intently at whatever view was below him. She dwindled her pace and stepped inside, leaning her arm against the threshold.

"You know," she said, making Negan spin on his heel, "these hallway carpets look like they're straight out of The Shining."

He squinted past her, eyeing the green and red strangely patterned floor. "You're fucking right."

"All I'm saying is if I see twins at the end of that hallway, I'm beating it out of here. To hell with your rules." She dropped her arm and sauntered in, peering out the differently large window. It expanded from one wall to another, draped with silk tawny curtains. The view, since it was on the opposite side of the hotel, didn't show the quaint town, but instead a creek lined with rocks and trees. She leaned her head in her palm and smiled at the placid view, hoping that Negan would somehow end up finding himself another room. She could stare out that window all night, and the bed was aimed directly at it, making a peaceful sleep for her.

"Fair enough." He stalked forward, twisting his head to look over her shoulder. "Like the view, darlin?"

"Yeah. It's alright."

It was more than alright. Maybe it was because it reminded her of the forest and ravine she'd visit daily, where she'd write in her notebook, scribble and wonder what was for dinner. The simple things. She'd been finding a lot of areas that reminded her of her hometown lately.

She parted her lips, about to ask to go down, then realized he wouldn't understand. He'd think she's crazy or wanted escape. Which, in all honesty, she did, but not without a bag of insulin and a map to know where she's going.

He didn't look like the type of person to enjoy a leisurely stroll. Then again, he'd read her thoughts in that notebook, so nothing could be much of a surprise anymore.

"You look like you wanna say something," he commented, eyes flickering to her still parted lips. She kept the thought in her head for a few moments, then decided it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"How much longer until we finish the run?" She asked, nervously rubbing up and down her arm.

"Should be settling in about ten minutes." He squinted and stroked his hirsute beard. "Getting fucking dark out soon, we'll need some goddamn flashlights or these fuckers'll be pissing all over their goddamn selves."

"I have one."

"You have a fucking flashlight?"

"Yeah, it's kind of a common sense thing to bring around nowadays."