26; together

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER

❝ WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER ❞

"I'm going, Rick. There's nothing you can say that will change my mind."

Her speed got increasingly faster. She desperately needed to get away from the endless pestering. The man would not let Winona forget how worried he was about her, and as much as the care was deeply reciprocated, she simply needed a moment of silence.

"Winona, you just got back."

"A week ago," she said with a roll of her eyes, "what am I supposed to do? Sit around for the rest of my life and not help out? You guys are going as a group, and I can't be the only one left behind."

Rick called a meeting to gather a group to go to Hilltop so that Maggie could receive the best medical care possible. He'd waited until the last minute to tell her that they were leaving that night, but Winona wouldn't let that stop her. She was never one to let people tell her what to do, especially when a friend needed help.

Her breaths got shorter as she reached the front steps of her home.

"Nona, your grandmother needs you." He turned his head to the side and looked down. "The saviours are out there. It's a possibility that we'll run into them. You know that. I can't let him take you again."

"I'm prepared this time. I was stupid getting myself into the situation I did, I admit that." She turned back to the door and opened it, giving Rick one last glance back. "I'm coming. I can't let everybody that I care about go out there and stay back by myself. We're in this together."

There was a look of resignation before slowly backing down the steps and walking off. Heaving a sigh of relief, Winona entered the house and hurried up to her room. She didn't have a lot of time to get her things together before they left. All she needed was a gun and a couple of extra sets of clothes in case they needed extra time at Hilltop. In no time she was dressed, cargos and a white tee, with a duffel bag slung over her shoulder.

It was evident the sun would set soon. She hoped it wasn't too dark by the time they got to Hilltop. There was one last thing she had to do before getting on the RV.

She made her way to her grandmother's room. The space smelled of comfort foods, mashed potatoes and gravy. She'd just made dinner for her before she set off to find Rick, who informed her of the news.

"Hey Ma, how was the meal?"

"Oh, amazing. Don't tell Eve, but you're a better cook." The edges of her lips shot upward.

"I learned from the best."

"I hope you're not talking about your father."

Winona giggled and sat on the bedside. "Of course not. He sure taught me how to microwave a frozen meal like a pro, though."