20; hope

IM NOT AN OPTIMIST LIKE YOU

❝ IM NOT AN OPTIMIST LIKE YOU ❞

Everything seemed more desolate in the apocalypse.

More stagnant, dull, and dirty. The streets, even dirt ones, were lined with detritus that undulated, trailing the car in the wind as if it were hopelessly running after them. The trees were darker and ominous, especially more dense with the pine branches merging together as if they were pieces of a puzzle. She'd seen enough forest to know. It went on for miles and miles. If it weren't for the corpses floundering through the dirt, clawing at nothing, it would have seemed as if nature had repaired itself.

She didn't know where they were going. The car jostled for on forever, it seemed, down a stretch of some dirt and cement roads mixed together. They hadn't shared more than a few words in over thirty minutes. She couldn't think of a single place they would be going.

"If you could go anywhere in the world," he said, breaking the silence, "where would you go?"

She pursed her lips. It was a heavy question. "I don't know. Disneyland, maybe?"

"Disneyland?" He repeated, furrowing his brow. A nearly silent scoff came from under his breath. "Out of all the fucking places you could go?"

"I guess. I never went there as a kid." She shrugged, as if it were a simple answer.

"Imagine all the poor fuckers that were there while the world went to shit. Probably couldn't get out if they tried." She scrunched her nose, feeling an ounce of pain for those people. At least she had a chance. Those people didn't. "Hell, no sense in thinkin' about that shit anymore," he said, once he noticed her uncomfortable expression.

"I just think it would be nostalgic. I don't know. I don't think you had to ever go there to feel it, its just a nostalgic place."

He raised his brows, his finger tapping against the leather wheel.

"I guess."

There was another period of silence where she leaned her head against the window and crossed one foot over the other. She didn't really give a shit about Disneyland. It seemed like the answer to give, that was all. In reality, the only place she cared to be was back home with her grandmother. God, she missed them all like crazy.

From the corner of her eye she saw the corner of Negan's mouth turn upward. "Disneyland. God, you're a fucking nerd."

She clicked her tongue and directed her gaze to the window. "Better than a tyrant, but that's just my opinion."

"Ouch," he breathed, with a hitched laugh. "Here I was, thinking we were having a friendly-as-fuck conversation."

She gave him an arrogant smile and flicked her middle finger up.