03; trouble

YOU'VE GOTTEN YOURSELF IN
ONE HELL OF A SITUATION

 ❝ YOU'VE GOTTEN YOURSELF INONE HELL OF A SITUATION ❞

It was dark. Had there not been a diminutive slip of light coming from the window of the metal door, she wouldn't have been able to see her own five toes layered in dirt and grime. The grounds were rough and ice cold, irritating her soft legs that held broken skin from toe to thigh, all the way up to the side of her hip bone. In nothing but shorts and a sheer shirt, the girl wished she'd brought at least a jacket to lay her bare legs on. The hard and uneven grounds savagely scraped against her limbs and bottoms of her feet as she scrambled to stand.

Never had her feet been so dirty. They felt as if they were covered in layers upon layers of dust, dirt and whatever else was scattered across the cool cement floors. There could have been spiders and other creepy crawlers slithering across her bare legs as she was out cold. The thought made the hairs on her nape stand upright.

As she stood erect her head began to feel dizzy, like all the blood was draining to her aching toes. Had the room not been empty and dark, it probably would have spun in vicious circles as she hurried towards the door, supporting her weight. She pushed against it, twisting and turning and even trying to rip the handle off. It wouldn't budge as she gave it a violent kick, forgetting she'd been deprived of her shoes. Yelping in pain, she stumbled back and hit the wall, her back sliding down and her shirt riding up. Her erratic heart beat only quickened as she shrivelled up in pain against the cell, mumbling obscenities under her cold breath.

With tears brimmed in her eyes, through the small sliver of glass in the door, she witnessed a man standing with a frantic look on his face. The heavy weight guy hurried off as Winona once again scrambled to her feet and began banging against the door, yelling profanities in between each inaudible word. Letting out a frustrated sigh as he bolted away, she held back from punching the wall as her toe already felt as it had broken into a million tiny pieces.

She gripped it between her fingers and squeezed gently, clenching and unclenching her fingers as she shut her eyes. Calming her breath, she hitched her chin and rested her throbbing head against the cool cell wall. They were gonna kill her. She was almost sure of it. Maybe if her grandmother wasn't back home waiting for her, she wouldn't mind so much. The again, had it not been for the elderly woman, Winona wouldn't have been there in the first place.

Emitting a deep growl, she threw her hands up against the wall like a child having a temper tantrum. She pictured the look on her sweet grandmother's face of her receiving the news. Your granddaughter is missing. It would probably be Rick to tell her. Oh, Winona could imagine how much it would break the man to have to do that.

How could she have been such an idiot? The woman would think she was in a ditch somewhere, being gnawed on by a walker. Rick would kill her herself if she ever did make it back unharmed. The thought made her stomach swirl as she hitched forward, opening her lips wide as she heaved. God, she'd been doing a lot of that lately. Part of her was glad she hadn't had anything to eat. She'd be throwing up all over herself if she had to smell the vile scent of vomit all day long.