2. Rot in hell, dad!

The phone almost slipped down my hand

The phone almost slipped down my hand. Lakshay's words echo in my head like a broken record.

Your father is getting you married to Vivaan, not me.

I end the call and throw the cell away. It crashes against the wall and breaks, much like the trust I put in my dad. I was just a little girl, nearly ten years old when I first met the Rathore family. They were nice. I didn't meet Vivaan back then, I still haven't.  He was never interested in meeting people, but I met Lakshay and he was kind, charming, everything a person would want in a partner.

Our families talked and made an alliance. My father was all too proud when he said, "my daughter will marry your son." At that time I didn't like it. But I got smarter. I met Lakshay again when I was nineteen. That's where it started.

We met more often than not and started dating. It's not difficult to fall in love with him. He is too good and deserving of love. But I never believed in the term. Love means nothing to me. And that says something because I write songs. I am supposed to sell love like I hold my heart in my palm. And as an artist I've learned to do just that.

I am a good liar. Because people believe it. No one knows that the heart I have is locked up with a 'do not disturb' sign pasted over it.

But none of that changes the fact that I care for Lakshay. He is a good man. He has been through alot. And he still tries to be the perfect person for everyone. With separated parents, and a brother who couldn't be bothered about anything, he is the sole reason, the people still have faith in his family name.

So like a normal person, I expected my father to marry me off to the good guy. The more appropriate one. But what did he do? Fucking asshole. But if Veera Malhotra is one thing, it's not easy. That man I share blood with, will answer. I promised to go ahead with this marriage and unlike him, I do keep my word. So all I have to do, is get him to change the groom.

Chatter from downstairs reaches my ear. The wedding is close and everyone in this house has work to do. Which lands them in the hall, screaming over each other and ruining my mental peace, not that I have any of it left in me. I run down the stairs, trying to get to my father and having the opportunity of screaming in his face as soon as I can.

I spot him pretty soon. I spot all of them. My brother Shivansh and his wife Amaira are also here. And as  very usual, Shivansh bhaiya and dad are having an argument. What is up with my dad? Always pissing off his children. My other brother Vidyut stands a little away with my mother, they don't bother with him. Good for them.

"DAD!" Startled eyes turn to me. Not one but five pairs of them. I am sure I look like a seething bull with steam coming out of my ears or something but that's how much he pushes my buttons. I walk forward with purpose, thumping my feet on the ground with every step I take.

"What the fuck is your problem?" It's his turn to seethe.

"Watch your language Veera."

"You watch yourself. Who is my boyfriend?!"