23. Skeletons in the closet

One word calling Vivaan stupid and I will

One word calling Vivaan stupid and I will......do something that I am not yet sure about. Keep in mind that he himself was a kid. He did what he thought was right.

🎶

I sit in front of my family all of them waiting for a story I didn't wish to revisit. It brings out the parts of me I don't like. The parts that wish to blame people that wronged me, the parts that connect everything to what happened and the parts that make me want to fucking cry. But this time, I know I can't dodge the questions. I came back from the hospital two days ago and now their patience has run out.

And so I see back, to the days when we were better, happier and most above all, together. Until the next moment, when we weren't.

17 years ago

My boarding school is borderline proper. It's the Brits, I think. They are all so poised and perfect, I simply feel like I don't fit in there. But I have more horrible things clouding my mind. Someone kidnapped my brother. They are holding him hostage and doing God knows what to him. Lakshay is a sweet kid. He doesn't think bad about anyone, nor does he act poorly. Being rich has its own flaws, one being people attack you at any point you show them weakness.

Lucky for me, I have a friend whose brother is a hacker. He cracked the code of some weird things and now he knows where my brother is. I called dad. I told him the address but he told me to not engage in such nonsense. He has the police working hard to find Lakshay and he said that he will find him. Ofcourse he said that, the times are scary and why would he believe a teenager like me over police?

So I came here myself. I lied. My family thinks I am still in hostel. I asked a friend to pay for my flight ticket so my father can't trace the purchase back to me. I'll pay him back. I just need to save my little brother. He is everything to me. He is my best friend. The warehouse in front of me looks creepy. No wonder they kidnap young kids and keep them here. The sun is almost about to set, I know I am being stupid, coming here alone but anything for Lakshay.

I sneak inside from a window, hiding away in the dark corners, observing people at best until I hear a shrill cry. A man drags a body out, it's of a child, his throat slit open. I hear my brother cry from behind, shouting at people who killed his friend. They made him watch? My sweet little brother is too kind, too sweet, too scared of horror films. How could he stomach any of this?

I see a man who looks more powerful in his chair. All the other men report to him. He must be the leader. I have to get my brother out of here. I sit there in the corner, waiting for my passage to open and for the people to lessen so I can take Lakshay away quietly and run. My chance comes soon. I get up and try to pick the lock of the door he is behind but it doesn't budge. I try a pin, a wire. I can't break the lock without making a sound so I look for alternatives.

But before I make another move, the back of my neck is grabbed and I am dragged over the floor. "No! Stop! Let me go!" He doesn't listen, he simply drags me over the floor before pushing me onto his boss's feet. The older man just smirked. "Vivaan Rathore. Don't look so surprised boy, you are a rich man's son. I know you very well. What are you here for?"