Chapter 18 The Drive Back

Y/n P.O.V.

I walk out of the house into the night. And yet for some reason again it was raining. I let out a sigh as I rush on over to the car Dave was in. I open the car door and take the passenger seat. I completely forgot how messy his car was. Pizza boxes crumpled, clothes everywhere, and plushies of rabbits.

Dave: "How was your day old sport."

I snap out of my little observational trance as he was looking at me.

Y/n: "Pretty good studied with a friend, and had dinner with them."

Dave: "Well that's good I can just head to sleep then."

And with that remark, Dave presses the gas, and the car moves along the rainy streets. Unlike the previous nights, the rain was much lighter. Yet Dave had a very tired expression. He had been working at his job at the pizzeria almost all week without much of a break.

Dave: "Hey kid, I know I haven't been around as often as I used to, but know that I still care about you, old sport."

Y/n: "Don't worry Dave I appreciate how much you provide and how much you've done for me."

Dave: "Hey kid?"

Y/n: "Yeah Dave?"

The car goes silent and the pitter-patter of the rain and the engine of the car are the only things that we can hear.

Dave: "Do you see me as your father."

Y/n: "Of course, Dave you've done so much for me, you raised me."

Dave: "That's great because I've always seen you as my son."

Y/n: "That's great thanks ...Dad."

Dave: "No need to thank me."

After the conversation, I look out the window seeing the window-lit houses. The rain and car ride made it the perfect moment, to ask him some things that have bugged me for days.

Y/n: "Hey Dave what happened to my father."

Dave: "Your real Dad?"

Y/n: "Yeah what kind of person was he."

Dave: "He was a troublesome person always trying to do the right thing by doing bad things, he always said no cost was too great for him, but he always had the people he cared about closest to his heart. He did all of those bad things for the people he cared about. The man always had good intentions in his soul no doubt about it."

Y/n: "Whatever happened to him."

Dave: "I can't quite remember at the moment. But if I could I still would rather not say."

Y/n: "That's fine, what about my mom?"

Dave: "Your mother was one of the kindest souls out there, always following your father around. She was practically his assistant when it came to working, but they loved each other deep down, she cared so much about you. If only she could see me now, she would say you're just like your father."

Y/n: "She sounds great, I'm so glad I had great parents."

Dave: "Yeah, it's a real shame you never got to meet them."

Some time passed between us in the car and awkward silence filled the car. I wanted to say something but I didn't know what to talk about.

Dave: "Hey how about we go to the convenience store? My treat"

Y/n: "Really? Ok sounds good."

Dave: "Of course, when was the last time we went there together."

The car ride was mostly silent after that as the rain worsened somewhat. As we finally make it to the convenience store. The old neon lights were barely functioning which gave it a somewhat nostalgic feel.