Chapter 8

TW: Panic Attack

After she left Matty and the band to continue practicing, Jules made her way back to the merch stand, seeing everything was nice and organized she sat down, finally being able to relax before doors opened

"Ah jules there you are '' Jaime said, walking back up to her, "I wanted to say that I actually lied earlier, this place doesn't hold 5,000 it holds 10,000 , crazy right? Sorry about the mix up, we should still have enough merch to last us tonight, we get new shipments in at every location '' Jaime finished.

The news caused the girl's heart rate to skyrocket, never had she had a panic attack on the job, she had always been able to deal with big crowds, being in the industry you have to learn to deal with them, but she's never dealt with that amount of people before.

"Jules you ok?'' Jamie asked, bringing her out of her thoughts. "Yeah all good, ready for tonight" she said, putting on a fake smile. "Great, doors open in about an hour and a half, see you on the other side" he said, then walked away.

Once Jaime had walked away, the panic attack started to set in, she quickly rushed out of the lobby, trying to find somewhere to calm down. She hadn't noticed the tears flowing from her eyes until someone stopped her "Hey julie are you ok?" it was Mark, she looked up at him and shook her head.

"Shh it's ok, here sit down" he brought her over to one of the benches that lined the backstage. "Just try to breathe ok? Is there anything I can get for you?" he asked, trying to console the shaking girl in his arms. 'Ma-matty get matty please" she choked out, Mark nodded "Ok just stay here and try to steady your breathing" he quickly left to go find the singer.

She sat there alone on the bench thinking, thinking about the number of people that we're going to be there tonight, thinking about what had happened with her and matty, thinking about the mean comments some fans have been leaving on her page. With all that thinking , her breathing started to become more erratic.

Matty had been talking to the band trying to finalize the set list when Mark hurriedly walked up to him. "Matty, you need to come with me right now," Mark said, gently grabbing his arm. Matty looked at him confused. "What's wrong?" "It's Jules she asked for, I think she's having a panic attack". Matty's face fell , "Come on this way" Mark said, motioning for Matty to follow him, they quickly made their way back to the girl. "I'm going to get her some water, stay here and try to calm her breathing before she passes out" Mark said, then walked off.

"Jules-jules..darling can you hear me?'' Matty's voice echoed outside of her thoughts, his voice caused her to snap out of her panicked trance. "Ma-matty?" she stuttered, "Yes darling I'm right here" he pulled her into a tight hug. "Breathe for me ok?" he whispers in her ear and rubs his hands slowly up and down her back, trying to soothe her.

Jules tried to calm her breathing, taking deep breaths in and out, trying to focus on the steady rhythm of matty's heart beat, but still she found herself unable to calm down.

"Matty could you sing to me? When I have panic attacks music calms me down" she mumbled, Matty nodded his head "Of course darling". Matty thought of what song to sing, thinking which one would be the most calming, " and I stopped myself for a minute to see if my heart's still in it and said a few things just to win it funny how it works out innit" he sang softly.  Jules felt her heart rate calm down at the sound of his voice, as he continued singing, he felt her body finally relax into his and finally stop shaking.

"You feeling better darling?" matty asked, pulling away slightly so he could see her face. "I think so, thank you matty" she responded, placing a soft kiss on his lips. "Hey sorry for the delay, here's the water" Mark said, handing her the bottle, "Thank you mark" she responded, sending the man a small smile. "You feeling better? I see you stopped shaking, you had me worried there I thought you were going to pass out on me" he said, "Yeah Matty helped" she looked over at the singer, smiling then placing her head on his shoulder. "Well I'll leave you two, but remember doors in an hour" Mark said, then walked off.

"So what made you that nervous?" matty asked, still holding her in his arms , "Well Jaime told me there was going to be 10,000 people here tonight which is a lot, I've never had that big of a crowd when I've run the merch stands, because I've always worked for smaller bands, and truly how am I the one to be nervous you're literally the one performing, plus people on instagram commenting stuff, most are nice but there's some people who are calling me fat and saying some other mean things  just because I work with you guys"  She understood where the fans were coming from, since she is one as well, but sending mean comments to someone for just working with the band was a little much.

"I know it's overwhelming that amount of people is crazy. I've gotten used to it by now but it used to freak me out, but then I would get on stage, start performing and getting lost in the music, and suddenly the nerves floated away. I promise you that you'll eventually get used to the amount of people at our shows, and if you ever feel overwhelmed you know where to find me" he said, placing a kiss on her forehead. "And about the fans, don't worry the nice people out way the mean ones, and don't listen to anyone who calls you mean names" Matty responded.

"This is off topic but I was wondering if i could take you on a proper date sometime" he asked, smiling widely at jules. Julie broke out in a huge grin and blushed, " Wow matty healy asking me on a date, never thought that was something that would happen" she giggled, "Well what can i say I make dreams come true" he responded, smirking. "Don't get cocky healy I haven't answered yet" she quipped back, he sent her a fake pout, "Well how can I say no to that face, of course I'll go out with you" she finished, pulling him close and kissing him.

"30 minutes till doors" Jaime's voice rang through the walkie talkie, interrupting the couple's moment. " I gotta head back, and make sure everything is ready" Julie frowned, not wanting to leave his arms. " I wish you didn't have too, promise to come in during the show and watch?" Matty pleaded, no girl had ever made him feel this way before, he wanted to be around her all the time, her smile and laugh made him melt, and he knew he was falling.

The two reluctantly parted, giving each other goodbye kisses before heading off in different directions. Jules made it back to the front of the venue, and made sure everything was in order and checked with all the volunteers, to make sure they were ready as well. "Ok everyone, the doors are opening right now" Jaime said, soon the familiar chatter of fans entered the room and Jules and her team had their first customers.

As fans were pouring in through the front door, the band was in the green room, " So matty everything good with Julie, you ran out of here pretty quickly '' George asked, wanting to make sure Jules was ok. "Yeah she was just having a bad panic attack, she's never worked with this many fans, but we got it all settled and I asked her on a date" Matty responded, a grin plastered on his face. " I think she'll be good for you mate, she's the type of girl you need" Ross chimed in , "yeah I think so to" matty said, as he started to button up his shirt.

"You know george she really wants to meet charli, she's a huge fan. When charli commented on her post jules literally wouldn't stop squealing in delight" matty chuckled, "Well charli wants to meet her too, i think she may come to our LA show" george responded. " She's going to flip, I can already see the look on her face, '' Matty said, putting on his tie and jacket.

" Hann, how are Carly and the baby?" Matty asked the guitarist "They're good, miss them both dearly but they're actually gonna join us when we get to Dallas" Adam responded, grinning at the fact he'd get to reunite with his wife and son soon. "That's amazing mate! I know you miss them alot" Ross said, patting his friend on the back.

"Well boys, are you ready for this?" Matty said as they made their way to the side of the stage, "Yeah lets do this" they responded. Soon the lights went out and the crowd roared, the boys made their way on stage and the familiar tune of 'People' started to play.

A/N: Hey everyone! first thank you so much for 200 reads!!! i hope everyone is enjoying the story as much as i enjoy writing it! this was just a cute little filler chapter, i wanted them to have a moment where he calms her down, since i too have anxiety and would personally want matty to help calm me down as well. Hope you also enjoy the prospect of a jules charli best friendship. Also hann talking abt carly 🥺 they're will definitely be more appearances and mentions abt the two women in the future!