20: Medallion

On their last day with the national team, hours before their flight, Coach Choi calls them into her office.

The Korean flag resting on her jacket over her heart is rightfully earned, worn with pride. Jimin convinced her, that she deserves to represent their country.

Minjeong links her arm with Jimin's, both girls curious to what Coach Choi possibly needed to tell them. The raven has an idea, but Minjeong shrugs, being open to many of the possibilities.

The air in the office is different from the regular air outside the door. The brunette doesn't know how to explain it, but the air is stern however hopeful.

They bow when Coach Choi turns around in her chair, a smile on her lips. "There you guys are. I'm glad I was able to catch you two before you left." Coach Choi folds her fingers.

Jimin and Minjeong sit down, scooting close together. The raven pulls their hands into her lap, intertwining their fingers together and play with the rings that decorate Minjeong's fingers. The brunette thinks it's a fragment of her dream, in the Swim national team's facility, next to the girl she loves the most, her partner in crime.

"I'm guessing your mother beat me to it in showing you the roster early... She was always so impatient." Coach Choi laughs, leaning back to catch her breath. "Welcome to the team. We all knew that you'd be on it, we just decided to give you a sneak peek of what is like to be a national athlete."

Minjeong tilts her head. "You knew my mom?" The brunette asks.

Coach Choi nods. "We were on the National team together. We had other girls on the team who all stuck together and had the best stats in the country. They gave us the nickname SNSD. Coach Seohyun was in it, a few others, and..." The woman pauses, hesitating.

Her expression falls. "Yuri. Kwon Yuri before she started coaching Ice skating."

Minjeong's body stiffens up. Coach Yuri never told her she used to swim?

She feels Jimin stroke over her skin with her thumb in comfort. Minjeong squeezes the raven's hand back, biting her bottom lip to fight back her tears.

Coach Choi straightens up, clearing her throat. "Anyways, I'm glad you two were able to visit. Hopefully, we'll meet again for the championship toward the end of the year. I'll also be watching the trials from the comforts of my home." She smiles widely.

The woman looks at her watch. "You two have to leave by 4PM?"

The two girls nod. "We're already done packing, it's just to put the stuff in the rental car." Minjeong tells her.

Coach Choi stands up. "Okay, so that team lunch will not go to waste! Come on!" The woman walks over to the door and holds it open for the two girls to walk out of.

Minjeong shakes the rest of her tears away, pressing her lips together in a slightly when the raven asks if she's okay.

It's alot of hair ruffles, congratulations and hugs the brunette receives from her new teammates. It's different feeling, knowing the jacket she wears isn't no longer for show anymore.

Beomgyu gives her the biggest hug, lifting his cousin enough to earn him an annoyed but heartfelt groan.

Her teammates all laugh, snapping photos. "Alright, Gyu. Please put me down." She says with an eye roll.

The boy lets her down, ruffling her hair. "I just got excited!" He smiles, whipping his long hair back.

They take their seats, lots of chatter following along. Minjeong settles with lemonade, offering the raven some every then and there.