Chapter 14 - Unlikely Ally

Swift couldn't focus. He's in pure disbelief. It might've been the three bullets that almost shot him that caused him to be this delusional. Perhaps the loud gunshots were disorienting enough to cause hallucinations in his head, not to mention the fact that he and the now-dead guard just got thrown out of a window from high above ground level. Surely, that would be enough to give him a mild head concussion. Nope. He immediately knew he wasn't being delusional once he blinked twice. Standing right in front of him is actually Audrey herself, suspiciously staring back at Swift. What alarmed Swift even more is the fact that she was holding an unsuppressed pistol, the same kind the gala's security force carried, with her finger still pulling back the trigger.

"You..." Audrey whispers a word, in the same disbelief as Swift. He says the same word under his breath as he looks to his left where the outdoor bar is. He passed it earlier when he ascended the hall, and it was crowded. Now, not a single soul exists there anymore, which is fortunate because if it was still occupied, patrons would've heard the gunshot Audrey made.

"What are you doing?" Audrey asks, dropping her gun.

Swift reciprocates, "What am I doi- What are you doing?!" He says, addressing her gun.

"I was... working."

Swift approaches her, "I could say the same." Audrey stares into his mesmerizing blue eyes as she did back in their encounter at Northview. Something about him just feels somewhat... captivating, like she's at a loss for words every time she talks to him, the same way they feel at the very moment. While Swift got so bewildered that she held a gun and pulled the trigger, Audrey was openmouthed that she found him wrestling one of the guards on her way out of the party, especially the fact that he had a gun also, except it didn't belong to security, so she knew that he brought it himself.

Their gaze upon each other gets interrupted by the sound of sirens blaring in the distance. Looks like the authorities are alerted. But those don't sound like the police. They both heard the siren, and they can differ between police and paramedics. Although they're half glad that it wasn't the cops, they knew it's only a matter of time until the police arrive if they discover the dead body with a bullet in his head.

"We have to move," Swift says, grabbing Audrey's hand, and starts to drag her with him.

"What?" Audrey questions him as he keeps on dragging her. As much as she wanted him to let go of her hand, she was also leaving anyways, so she didn't mind him leading her out of the area. Much safer that way, at least. They break into the trail of red carpet that leads out of the hall grounds and they pass the unguarded entrance gate just as flashing red and blue lights start to flare across the hall's outer wall.

As Swift scours the sidewalk along with Audrey, he ponders the whereabouts of his friend, who's supposed to come to pick him up with the car. "Tom! Where are you?! You're supposed to be here by now!"

"Working on it!"

Audrey turns to him luridly, hearing him say that familiar name. Isn't Tom the guy who Swift came to the party with? Then she remembered. Oh yeah, his brother. Of course he's involved in this too.

"Ryan," Swift turns to her after she says his name. "What the hell is happening?"

"I'll explain on the way."

"To where?"

Before Swift could answer that question, a sedan suddenly stops in front of them. Swift opens the backseat door for Audrey, and he motions to her to head inside. "Move it!" Audrey nods, and she jumps into the backseat. Not long after, Swift follows.

Tom, looking at the rear-view mirror, is shocked to see Audrey unexpectedly heading along with them. "What the-" He turns around to check just in case the mirror is playing tricks on him, but it isn't. "What is she doing here?!"