Chapter 28: You Are An Idiot

Everything comes into place once they discussed what to do with the situation. Swift and Tom were already half on their way to the airport. The air was thick with tension as they drove towards the destination, their hearts pounding with a mixture of fear and adrenaline. The sky was dark and foreboding, the clouds heavy with the promise of a storm, casting an eerie light down over Los Angeles. The silence between them was palpable, broken only by the sound of their breathing and the occasional vehicle horn. It was a daunting task, but they knew that they had no choice but to press on, their minds focused on the task at hand and the dangers that lay ahead, especially with Audrey's life on the line. They carried on while remembering the plan they'd carefully arranged.

Once Dane and Iggy leave the apartment, they start coming up with plans. "So, how are you planning to save your girlfriend, and not risk getting Matt what he wants?" Tom asks, still with his arms crossed.

"I might have an idea," Carter speaks up. He then holds up a specialized USB drive for them.

"If you're suggesting giving him a fake copy of the list, I think you're insane," Swift remarks. "Besides, how would you know he won't check if it's authentic on the spot?"

"I thought about that. This is not just a fake copy," Carter stands up from the couch. "This thing can be remotely controlled. So when that happens, once he's done checking the file's authenticity, I can set this to be automatically deleted from the drive." He explains.

Swift's eyes light up in awe, "You can do that?"

Carter nods, handing it to him, "Welcome to R&D in the CIA." He jokes. Swift accepts the thumb drive after inspecting it, squeezing it in his hand. He only hoped Matt keeps his word to hand Audrey back in return for the list.

Tom nods approvingly, but another dilemma comes up. "Okay, we have that part covered. Um, what about the whole airport setting? Isn't it kind of weird that he chose the airport runway out of all places?"

"Maybe he wants the seclusion? Maybe he owns a part of the airport there?" Carter asks.

"Whatever he has waiting for us, we'll be ready," Swift says determinedly.

While Swift is busy checking his and his partner's pistols, Tom is busy finding a way how he'll get into the airport runway. He knows how airports have a special entryway to head directly to the runway, and after driving across the front of the busy airport, he finds it on the left side of an airport terminal. He drives up to the gateway leading to the runway, where the car is halted by a man that doesn't look like an official, with no security uniform or anything like that. Just a dark jacket and an automatic rifle suspended on a strap over his shoulder. Without questioning the car's arrival, the man goes and slide opens the gate with the flip of a switch from a security post.

Tom cautiously advances, the car going through the gate as he glares bitterly at the rifle-holding man, knowing it's another one of Matt's acolytes. He lets the two tuxedo-wearing boys pass, then he puts up a handheld transceiver near his mouth, a radio if you will.

He speaks, "He's here, boss. Get ready."

Matt, receiving the message, nods to himself. He always thought it was such a charm to hear himself be called 'boss' by his henchmen. Now I know how Dad feels. It always gives him a feeling of tyranny or command. After checking his wristwatch, he hears the low rev of a car engine going closer and closer. He eventually sees the small sight of the car in the distance, growing bigger as it comes nearer.

"Oh, shit," Swift whispers. "Carter, Matt has a cargo plane at the ready." He informs.

Carter takes a closer look at the dashcam footage equipped in the sedan Tom and Swift are driving in. Behind Matt is a massive dark-green cargo aircraft. Although Swift's not sure what the origin manufacturer is, he's bright enough to know it's military-grade, one that Matt miraculously owns.