Chapter 30: What Comes Next

The plane comes to a crash. The damage and destruction it caused would catch the airport officials, not to mention the dead bodies of several armed men that are left at the other end of the runway. Even a part of the plane flew by itself, taking down a communications tower far ahead. Hopefully, the officials wouldn't catch the sedan Tom was driving, and he drove straight to the crash site on the dirt outside of the runway area, in hopes of finding Swift and Audrey unscathed and alive, the latter still being on the plane as it crashed.

"You two okay?" Tom speaks to the backseat, inside sits Dane and Iggy who's out of breath.

"I never felt so alive! That was the shit!" Dane says, shaking the passenger's seat in front of him.

Iggy lets out a pant, "I think my arm's bruised."

"You're fine," Tom assures. "Swift and I have been through worse."

"I can tell."

Iggy remarks as the car drives through the broken fence the plane caused. It hovered above the ground for a brief second before landing, jolting everyone, almost getting their heads hit by the car ceiling. With the crashed plane before them, the car halts. The three of them rush out of the car running into the plane's debris. Fire and little pieces of the plane were everywhere, scattered in the dirt. The bright fire surrounding them almost blinded them, but they still dared to walk through the flames just to get to their friend. Yet, when they find something that made them break down in despair, they cease their run, followed by a loud gunshot.

Fire, dirt, and debris. Swift returns conscious being greeted by those three things scattered around him. Once he rose from having his face planted in the dirt, he flinches at the burning piece of metal next to him, feeling the heat bite his skin. He covers his face with his arm, part of its tuxedo layer being almost torn open, making contact with the plane's surface. An uneasy feeling then hits him as if he just lost someone dear to him. Audrey. Looking around, he couldn't see her anywhere, and that explains why he suddenly turns grief-stricken. He fights against the pain attacking his head, forcing himself to pick himself up from the ground to search through the wreckage of the plane.

"Audrey?!" Swift feels an intense sting on his stomach, recalling it to be caused by a bullet shot by Matt. He grips it tightly as he limps through the flames. "Where are you?!" He passes by a giant piece of the wing caught on fire. He starts to cough after how much of the fire's smoke enters his nostrils. "Audrey?!" He cries out again, a lot more desperately this time, having no sight of his lover.

His ear catches a voice crying out from somewhere, yet he thinks it's the dazing background that is messing with his head, so he keeps on investigating. The same anguish voice calls out to him again, "Ryan!" It wasn't his head. Swift immediately knew where the voice came from, right in front of him, except before him is a small hilltop. He climbs the hilltop passing a giant piece of the wing that's burning, right on time as the burning piece collapses and he avoids it climbing down. The sudden shake it caused sent him rolling down the small hill. Swift picks himself up and as he looks up, he makes a smile, gazing at a distant feminine figure of Audrey, the latter spotting the other afar.

Audrey. Relief flooded through him as he saw her emerge from the wreckage, a little bruised but alive. She looks at the giant wing on fire, which's still destroying the foliage, as well as a few short trees, making them charred by its fire. Her eyes meet Swift's, who stares back at her shocked at her appearance. Despite the shock, he was still in pure happiness to see her still standing. A broad smile spreads across his face, and he feels a surge of joy bubble up inside him. For a moment, the chaos and destruction of the crash faded away, replaced by a feeling of elation and gratitude.