Chapter 16: Mr. Barlowe

Shit. I have to do this again, do I? Swift quickly became lost in his thoughts as he is caught in a standoff against Jake and his douchebag army. They're up to no good, and he knew they were going to go physical after what happened yesterday, something Swift isn't looking forward to repeating. Sure, he can walk away, but that won't stop them from even laying a finger on him. If they do, Swift could easily break all of them, but that's against the point. He's trying to lay low, blend with the crowd, unlike what happened last time.

Yesterday, Swift only started provoking them verbally, but he didn't expect Jake to shove him, leading him to fall on the floor. That moment he learned Jake is the guy who likes to go physical, and in that moment Swift knew he had to throw hands. After that, looks like Jake didn't let that go. Swift's plan, for now, is to stay still in his position, waiting for them to make a move before responding.

As expected, the students around gather to witness the conflict begin. Being witnesses of the last fight between the new kid and Jake, they have high expectations for Swift to win today's standoff. Meanwhile, Swift, who's still caught in the deadlock with the opposing group, instinctively hovers his hand next to his right hip, a little lower. But there's no gun, he's pretending like there is, and he wished it is. He remembers that his pistol is still in his bag. Either way, gun or no gun, he'll batter them down. Swift thought so before someone else intervenes.

Jake feels a grab on his right shoulder, and he hears a voice afterwards. He turns behind to confront someone the least he wants to see.

"That's enough," Matt greets with a flinty look on his face. "You can go now."

Jake frowns dispiritedly, "But-"

"You've already done enough damage yesterday."

"But we didn't! It was him!"

"And do you want him to do that again? Pretty sure he beat you one against five." Matt argues.

One of Jake's friends, one with a darker shade of blonde hair than his, walked forward to his side. "He's got a point." He utters to Jake, talking some sense. Then Jake starts to ruminate about the idea. Despite how much he wants to just break one of Swift's bones, he didn't want to get into trouble, especially with Matt around. That, and Swift would be a risk to throw hands with. He broke Jake's nose, and he didn't want to think what else would he break if a second fight is in order. It's rather unfair.

"...Fine," Jake sighs in defeat, and motions to his friends. "Come on, guys." He says. All of them nod, and they follow Jake who purposefully bumps Swift's shoulder as he leads his friends out of the commotion, going through the crowding of students. All of Jake's friends share steamed looks at Swift, who stays expressionless and steady, but he still gave them glares. Everyone else turns cheerless after Matt breaks the potential fight up except for Dane. Matt then goes up to Swift.

"You've got a thing for attracting assholes like Jake," Matt says.

"Eh, I could handle people like him." Swift smugs.

Matt chuckles at his confidence. Sure you can. "So I've heard. Yesterday is a... hot topic."

"Hey. Why is Jake so compliant for you, anyway?" Swift asks as he's been noticing yesterday and just now, Matt is the one who breaks off the fight, and Jake just obeys straightaway without any questions.

"He's uh... a long-time friend of mine." Matt scratches the back of his head. "We've known each other since we were kids. He's a year younger than me, but we got along pretty quickly. I guess you could say he's like a brother to me. A hot-headed but completely manageable brother." He adds, getting a slight chuckle out of Swift. "Anyways, see you at lunch?"