Chapter 29: Goodbye, Ryan Swift

"You want me to what?" Allison asks before she falls into a quandary over Carter's out-of-the-blue request.

Carter sighs in the room alone, talking to Allison at the other end of the call, "Give me access to the satellite so I can disable the freighter plane carrying weapons from taking off!" He says in a rush, leaving Allison in more confusion. Her silence gave it away, prompting Carter to explain a little more. "Look, your boy Ryan, is in trouble, okay? And his friend Tom, too! So, you either authorize me to use that satellite to stop that plane or..." He stops.

"Or what?" Allison says.

"Whatever the hell that kid Matt could do to Swift if I don't help him!"

Allison then ponders. Of course, as the director of the CIA, she can ask a certain someone to tell her how she can do it, but she doesn't know if it's something she is authorized to do, let alone Carter. But she knew she had no choice. It's always her priority when it comes to Swift's safety. She sighs as she makes up her mind.

A flying army of bullets goes to rain upon Swift and Tom, and they collectively knew hiding inside the car would be a smart decision. The both of them dive inside the car.

"Close it, close it!" Swift instructs in panic and the two of them close their respective doors that shield them from being devoured by the gunfire. Both of them agreed that even with bulletproof tuxedos, they didn't want to risk having their heads shot at. Now, they're taking refuge inside the car still being shot by dozens of Matt's henchmen, leaving bullet holes throughout the car's body. "Carter!" Swift shouts to his earpiece.

"What's happening?!" Carter looks at the dashcam footage, revealing muzzle flashes and gunshots.

"This car is bulletproof, right?!"

"For the most part!" Carter replies.

"What do you mean, for the most part?!" Tom ducks his head under the glove box, the flashes of rifles disorienting him in the head. His question gets answered when a headlight glass is shattered by the impact of a bullet.

"That makes sense!" Swift adds. "Please tell us this thing's got more cool shit other than a biometric lock!" He says, imagining what other gadgets the car would possess.

Carter accesses the car's internal system controls through his laptop, looking at a 3D blueprint of the car, "Hold on, hold on." He says, hands quickly going back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse trying to find the right program to launch. "Yes! Got it!"

While Swift and Tom are being occupied taking cover, they almost didn't realize something surfacing from the car hood's sides. A rectangular part of the hood slides and sinks itself into the car, emerging from it are two black-painted turrets that rotate at a great speed.

"Automated turrets online." A pre-recorded female voice announces from somewhere within the car.

"Automated what?!" Tom removes his arms that protect his eyes from the muzzle flashes that still go, while Swift, in full enthusiasm, jumps out of his cover and takes a seat.

"Aw, yeah!" He exclaims, noticing a button underneath the head unit that blinks red, another reason for him to push it. So, he did. But no bullets are fired away. "Wait, wh-" He stammers in confusion. That's when the voice speaks up again.

"Load ammo." It says. Swift's excitement turns into disappointment, rolling his eyes and groaning.

"Carter!!" He yells out, and the latter hears him from the earpiece.

"Oh, yeah. It's experimental." Carter replies calmly.

The empty automated turrets retract into the hood, leaving Swift and Tom vulnerable as if they're not already. With several hundred bullets that are being fired at their car, decreasing its durability, they were out of options, until another idea comes into Swift's mind.