Chapter 24: The Magic Number

Sometime later after contemplating the unexpected death of Lars, the three of them reach Northview just in time, a few minutes before classes start. Swift, Tom, and Audrey were still heavily unnerved by the blindsiding view of Lars' brutally maimed dead body. The blank, unblinking eyes that were washed by the falling stains of blood above his forehead had Audrey's stomach turning, while Swift and Tom, they've seen many other things worse compared to what they just witnessed, but they were still in shock to see it nonetheless. The car goes to a halt when it arrives at a parking space just outside of the school.

Swift pulls the gear stick to neutral, "We're not gonna talk about it at school, right?" He says, looking in the backseat.

"What? The accident back there?" Tom points behind.

"At least not near Matt in there. Sure, he's a bit dumb, but if he knows that we know, he's gonna know something." Swift replies.

"I'll swear on it." Tom raises a hand.

"Good," Swift nods. "And Audrey?"

By the time they arrive, Audrey was still in her trance of seeing Lars' corpse, seemingly unable to unsee it. Even the most grotesque details she remembers, and it still gives her an uneasy feeling. She exits the trance once Swift calls her. "Oh, huh?" She turns her head instantly.

"Try not to mention anything about Lars." Swift states.

"Of course. Why would I?" Audrey says as Swift suspects her.

"You look a little... horrified," Swift comments. Audrey turns away from him to the window, wanting to get out of the car with her hand nearing the door's handle. "Was it Lars?"

Audrey's hand stops, "I'm a little... disgusted. That's all."

Swift sympathizes with her for a moment, and then he nods. "I get it."

Audrey sees his demeanor as seemingly not being unfazed by it. "Aren't you?"

"A little," He replies. "Me and Tom have seen worse." Audrey nods understandingly, and she opens the door, going out of the car.

Swift and Tom go along with her, and the three of them head into Northview together. Swift is greatly thankful that Tom decided to bring backup clothes for him when he went to Audrey's, otherwise, he would wear a blood-soaked tuxedo capable of drawing unwanted attention at the moment. Although, he's not sure why Tom had the insight to bring those. Maybe for another reason that Swift isn't aware of. He'll ask Tom about that later. Then Swift fathomed that he didn't bring his sling bag, his school supplies and his schedule is in there. Swift isn't too worried about it, though. That's fine. He'll ask for a pen, and as for his schedule, he recollects that he took a picture of it with his phone a few days ago, in case the schedule paper goes missing.

Tom walks past Swift as he's pulling his phone out, "See you in a bit, Ryan."

"Yeah," He scrolls through his gallery, finding the picture of his schedule document. Great. Biology. Swift sighs exhaustedly. It's better than math class, at least. He turns to Audrey.

"And what about you?" Swift asks her. "What's your first class?"

"Spanish," Audrey says.

"Ah," He nods. "Well, good luck with your Spanish quiz."

"See you at lunch?" Audrey asks back.

"Absolutely, love." Swift smirks. Audrey walks into the hallway first after he lets her pass, but then she suddenly stops in her tracks, turning back to him.

"What did you just call me?" She asks, obviously knowing what he called her but she wants to know if he heard himself.

Swift becomes flustered in an instant. He would repeat himself but not in the middle of the hallway, but he ultimately decides to reply to her. "Um, love?" He brushes his head in the back. Audrey makes a small giggle when she approaches him.