Penalty | Story | Ballroom kisses

'When a young lady has been found in a compromising position with another person. They are required to marry to preserve her honour.'

"We shouldn't be doing this."

I press myself closer to Yuna to completely hide our bodies within the alcove. Behind us, the dance continues with no one wiser with our whereabouts.

"Don't worry, I know what I'm doing."

I don't give Yuna time to question my motives. I read the laws, studied them till I knew them better than my brother who actually went to school to learn them.

I'm certain we can pull this off.

We aren't exactly in a compromising position when her would-be fiance walks in on us. Our clothes are still on. Though our hair is messed up enough, we can't show ourselves again in the ballroom without it being obvious.

He had been looking for her, to maybe create some rumours himself.

Luckily, I managed to snatch her away before he could. She could never say no to him nor her father. The pressure of society too much to openly defy it.

The scream that was realised by the man ensured everyone at the ball rushed to the door. 

Step 1 & 2 of how to marry Yuna completed.

I take a step back to fully reveal the crime we committed. After tonight no one would be able to deny the law had to be followed.

"Jules?"

Maybe I should have told Yuna the details. No wait, I absolutely should have. She would have made the crime scene much more interesting and we could have disguised our plan making as shopping trips.

But alas.

"Jules Dae Bennet! What do you think you're doing?!"

My parents work themselves through the crowd with my younger brother yelling my name ahead of them. A smile graces my face, which is enough to reassure Yuna I actually have a plan.

"Getting married."

The cries of outrage and laughter that follows my statement does nothing to deter me from my chosen path.  

"Are you saying this doesn't suffices as a young lady being found in a compromising position with another person." 

Yuna's face lights up with her smile, she immediately saw the loophole I found after my proposal was refused.

"I think we can all agree I qualify at being a person. Therefore the consequence is we shall be married to preserve the young lady's honour."

To make matters somehow worse, Yuna speaks up against the mass of relatives surrounding us with judgement in their eyes.

"Call it the penalty of being an irresponsible person."

-

April 2, 2023