Banish | Story | Home

"From this day forward you, Yuna daughter of Dae, are no longer welcome within the borders of Mjari. You are banished and will be killed, if you return without permission of the royal family. You will wander earth till you have found your magic or have died while looking."

The portal that would transport Yuna from Mjari to earth was malfunctioning. Well, no one had said so, but Yuna was quite certain it was not supposed to feel like this. And who would care about her comfort when she was banished?

She was less important than the foal that had been born to the royal horse this morning. 

No one was here to watch her leave, not that she had expected her family to come... Though she had still hoped someone, someone would be there.

The journey through the portal was fast, clean and horrible. She had been right in thinking this was not how it was supposed to feel. The nausea hit her like a herd of wild ostriches, making her almost throw up her meager breakfast remains.

It took her several long minutes before the world stopped turning and Yuna managed to sit upright and saw the world around her. 

She was dumped at the very edge of nature.

Enormous walls of stone rose up from the charred earth. Only behind her was there a spot of color. Everywhere else as far as the eye could see was the world grey.

A burned world of no return.

The humans who had once lived there had since long been death. The only redeeming places were the once maintained by the exiles of the magical world. Small spots of green in an otherwise barren land. 

In this landscape they looked magnificent, but compared to the forests of Mjari they were a far cry from those forests. 

On Mjari you could disappear for years within the green world around the towns. 

On earth you could disappear for years without ever finding one.

It was doomed. She was doomed.

None of the other exiles, if there were any fae to begin with, would accept another stranger. The world was too small for another soul to dwell in.

-

She was running. 

Chasing a dream that could never be fulfilled.

It was too late. The fae behind her were closing in, she would never arrive on time.

The portal closed when she stretched her arm to slip through it. It would open during the next red moon, however long that would take. Her only chance to return home, gone in the wind.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is were this flashfic ends as I promised myself this book would not be mature. The song has very little to do with the story, but I was listening to it while I wrote it and I love it so much.