Mellow | Story | Morning

"Wake up, dear."

I opened my eyes and saw Jules face above me, holding a plate and mug. Setting the breakfast on the nightstand before crawling back in bed.

Snuggling closer, I carefully lifted the plate till I could place it on the bed between us.

"Special reason we're having breakfast in bed?"

Though I certainly wouldn't complain either way. It was nice to have something so domestic once in a while in our busy lives.

"Nah, I was awake. You were sleeping so peacefully, thought I would surprise you. Now we can stay here as long as we want."

I took my perfectly brewed tea and took a careful sip.

"Well? How does it taste?"

"Mellow."

"That is good?"

I could hear the uncertainty in Jules' voice and took another sip to hide my smile.

"Yes. After all, it's English breakfast even though you have Masala Chai. You remembered I like this more and took time to get my favourite from the shop, as you didn't have it last night."

I took another sip and watched Jules impatiently twist their fingers into the bedspreads.

"It tastes like love and care and remembrance."

The tea cup was of a modest size, and I finished my drink within moments.

"It tastes like more."