Society | Story | Derin

'Follow the flow of your pen, let it decide the story for you.'

Derin Telamok

The motto had been displayed on the wall, hidden behind framed poems of previous masters.

Yuna was walking the same paths as many had before her, but today would truly be special. A speaker had been invited, one of the original poets that had established this society. Yuna had never met him before or even knew his last name, all she knew were the whispers in the hallways.

He was supposed to be exiled by Derin and the other masters. But as they were all dead now he was allowed to enter the school again.

"As for today, I would-"

Yuna slammed, carefully closed, the door behind her. She was late and the lecture had already started.

"Now that everyone is here," Yuna tried to disappear from view, by hiding behind her taller classmates. "I would like to open with a quote. One you all know by heart, of course."

Yuna wrote notes at a speed she didn't know she was capable of. Too many things were said she never wanted to forget.

"The thing is that no one agrees on who said it. Many claims have been made of who the first was that had said it. As none agreed on the same preaches nor explanation, it was claimed by the school and attributed to Derin Telamok."

The students nodded along, that was common knowledge among the ones that had looked a bit further than taking facts at face value.

"But it matters little. The saying in itself is enough, it doesn't matter who has said it. Nor will people ever agree on it."

That was new. Yuna had heard many lectures about the quote before, the different preachings that every professor followed. And in consequence tried to justify with the quote.

"I know who said it, but as I'm the last of the founders my word means nothing. I can say whatever I want, as there is no one left to prove me wrong." 

It was a grim reality for many. The founders had stil a legendary aura, even though the last one alive was barely in his sixties. That most of them had died long before their years, had become a sad reality.

"Don't let that deter you. I'm an old fool, the only thing left for me is making the world better than when I came into it."

Yuna didn't think the man was that old yet, but he was sure to know that better than she.

"Write what comes out of you pen, scrutinize it. But let the words flow, feel the confidence, that yes, you to can write."