Pawn | Story | Villain Universe

Jules had always looked up at heroes. After all they saved him on an almost daily basis. Ensuring the streets he slept in, were safe at night.

Today had been different though, never before had Jules come this close to a hero.

The number 1.

The best of the best, so much higher in power than Jules could ever dream to be. Not that he did, he was more than happy to live his life in the safety of anonymity.

A major villain attack had happened just outside the mall. Jules had been hanging around the shops in the hope to get some money and had seen it all happen.

A friend of his had been the only casualty. Lela had been old, kind lady. Who had taken many a child under her wing, she had been an unofficial hero within their circles.

Now she was gone.

In a burst of courage Jules had followed the hero around, you didn't meet someone like him every day. He wanted to see what else was going to happen, and maybe he could help prevent another death. That's how he came upon this scene.

"That one blast came a bit too close, I almost got hit."

The hushed voices of the number 1 hero and someone Jules recognized as a villain, could be heard within the shadows of an alley.

"You wanted publicity, you get publicity. You're no number 1 without a bit of danger."

This didn't sounded like a fight about to happen, and Jules itched closer to get a better look. Not really thinking about the implication of what was said.

"At least you ensured no one actually got hurt, otherwise it would have hurt my image."

His steps faltered, a soft ringing in his ears the only clue of what was about to happen.

-

Many hours later, as Jules was sitting on top of an abandoned building, did the world returned to colour.

There's was blood under his finger nails, and a key in his hands.

The city would have to do without their Hero and Villain. But until a new couple appeared, would Jules take half the responsibilities.

From a pawn to a king, no longer would he hide behind a facade of anonymity. He would show his ambition in the clear light of day, for everyone to see.

No more hiding, who was hiding beneath the surface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, would people be interested in a spin off story within the villain universe? Because I have several chapter fragment already, and the characters have really grown on me.