Kaput | Story | Mended pieces

What happens to broken objects?

They get replaced. No one wants something that isn't perfect after all.

Jules knew it would all turn out fine. She knew this, she really, really knew this. Yet now that the time had come to face this challenge she didn't anymore.

She wouldn't be replaced by Yuna, of course she wouldn't.

Yet in the back of her mind there was an insistent voice reminding her how broken she was. How Yuna would replace her once someone better would show up. 

She hated how jealous she was of Daé. No matter how many times she told herself their roles in Yuna's life were completely different. Every time she saw him, fear clogged up her throat and she would hurriedly leave the room with Yuna hot on her heels.

She didn't want to hate him. It wasn't his fault after all. Yet every time she saw his face, she was remembered of her own broken soul and his perfect one. Of course Yuna would move on and take of unto the sunset with him.

"Love. Breath for me okay. Just in and out, follow my lead."

Jules looked up from she was hiding her face under her arms. Following the line of her hand to Yuna's chest, feeling the steady beat of her heart.

"You won't be replaced, ever. No matter what that voice tells you, I'm saying something different. And as it is about my actions, I would know best, right?"

They were sitting in the stairwell, the soft murmur of Yuna's relatives in the living room the only sound in the silence.

"You aren't an object, no one could ever replace you. Even if you were actually broken or kaput, which you aren't. No matter what happens you'll never be."

They stay in silence after that, huddled together on the too small steps. The door closes and opens and the house gets quieter and quieter till Yuna's mother appears from the living room.

"I'm almost going home, will you three be fine?"

In her arms is the small bundle of human life Jules had nurtured for nine months in her body. Daé. She nods before her brain has caught up and watches as Yuna gratefully accepts the bundle, keeping him close to her chest.

"I think will be fine, thanks for keeping him company."

Jules watches as mother and daughter carefully embrace each other, mindful of the baby between them. 

When the door closes after their last guest has left, they are truly alone with their small family. 

Not every family is perfect and neither will theirs be. But Jules will do her best that theirs will look like Yuna's and not her own.