Chapter Thirteen:

Four hours later…
Julian’s POV:
I was a bit worried, having not heard from Mary in hours. “I’m sure she’s fine,” Ray said, trying to ease my nerves. Then the phone rang. I quickly picked it up. “Hey Julian. Mary’s barbecuing. Wanna join? She be cooking a lot of food,” J-Roc said. “She’s ok?” I asked. “Yeah, dawg. Why wouldn’t she be when she be having the whole trailer park watching her,” he said. “Ok, I’ll head over with Ray, Bubs, and Ricky,” I said, hanging up.

“She ok?” Ricky asked, looking up from rolling a joint. “Yeah, cooking up a storm, no less,” I said, rubbing my forehead. “She ABC,” Ricky said. “What did you say?” Bubbles asked. “ABC. Always be cooking,” he replied and we all laughed. “See, there was nothing to worry about,” Ray said as we got ready. “Yeah, I know, but I hate seeing her hurt,” I said, sighing. “She is the baby of the group,” Ricky said.

I got the three puppies. “Here, I’ll hold them,” Ray said and I put them on his lap in a crate. “Dude, her birthday is in a month,” Bubbles said, as we walked down to J-Roc’s place. “Oh right,” Ricky said. “We gotta do something special,” I said. “Its her 20th borntday after all,” Ricky said. “We gotta do something special for her,” Ray said.

“It’s like she was meant to be my sister,” Ricky said. “What do you mean?” Bubbles asked. “Well, I’m March 20. She’s March 14th. Duh,” Ricky replied. “Jules!” Mary called when we neared J-Roc’s place. “Hey baby,” I said, going to wrap my arms around her. “I’ll take over,” Ricky said. “Oh, you brought the puppies,” she said excitedly.

“Yeah, figured they’d need some outdoor time,” I said as Mary took them out. They went exploring around the lot, but didn’t stray too far. I sat in one of the deck chairs arranged on the lawn. Mary crawled into my lap and cuddled me. “This ok? Like I’m not hurting you, right?” she asked. “Nah, you’re good,” I said, kissing her forehead.

“Hey guys! Heard their was a barbeque. Mind if we join?” Randy asked, indicating to Lahey, George, and himself. “Lahey all right to join, dawg?” J-Roc asked Mary. “Yeah, of course. Sit here,” Mary said and they sat near us. Ray immediately parked himself between Lahey and Mary. “Ray, I’m fine,” Mary said, smiling.

“I know. What did ya cook up?” he asked, leaning over in his chair. “Some salads, even made a Greek salad, bean salad, some slaw, chicken and cheese burgers. Hmm, J-Roc baked a couple cakes. I may have stolen some weed off Ricky to make brownies,” she replied. “Mary, you shouldn’t be having too much weed,” I warned.

“Don’t worry, there is both weed and weed-free. Ooh yeah, those pickled onions, cauliflower, beans, pickles, radishes and beets are done,” she said. “Can we try?” Randy asked. “Dude, how did you steal my weed oil? I carry that shit on me all times,” Ricky asked, patting his empty pockets. “You taught me to pick pocket. And yeah, they’re on the table,” she said, innocently. “Fuck, yer goods,” Ricky laughed.

Everyone got up and crowded around the pickled veggies. “Here, Julian,” Lahey said, handing me a plate with the pickles. “Thanks,” I said, putting the plate in Mary’s lap. I moaned as soon as I tasted them. “That good?” Ricky teased. “Fuuck yess. Babe, we gotta sell this shit! It’s amazing,” I said, feeding some to her. “Deeceent!” Bubbles exclaimed.

“I’ll buy some jars,” Ray said, pulling out his wallet. “Me too,” George said. “Ten bucks per jar,” Ricky said. “Nah man, I’d say 20 bucks,” Lahey said. “Yeah, they taste amazing!” Randy said. “Ricky, Bubs? You ok with handling the sales?” I asked. “Sure thing,” Ricky said. “Hey Daddy!” Trinity called, running into his arms. He caught her easily.

“What’s all this? Another scheme of Julian’s?” Sara asked. “Actually, it’s Mary’s pickled veggies,” Ricky said. “Did she put something in them? Some drug?” Lucy drunkenly asked and Sara smacked her. “You stupid bitch,” Randy said and everyone gasped. He wasn’t one to swear, so it was quite surprising. “Daddy, can I try?” Trinity asked. “Sure hun, here,” Ricky said, handing her his plate.

“These are really good,” she said, after trying one of each. “I’m sold, I’ll take one of each,” Sara said. Lucy looked like she was going to start shit and was already drunk. And probably on drugs. “Hey Trin, wanna go look for monarch eggs?” Mary asked, getting up. “Sure,” she said and led Mary to a field nearby. “I don’t want her anywhere near my daughter!” Lucy said and Sara held her back. Bubbles took some containers and beelined for Mary and Trinity. I hated dealing with drunk Lucy.

“Lucy, you better watch it,” I warned. “She’s a bitch!” She yelled. I saw Mary flinch, but continued showing Trinity how to find caterpillars and eggs. Some other kids from the park gathered around her and Bubbles. “She fucked Ricky, Julian!” Lucy yelled. “You still ons abouts that? She never fucked me!” Ricky said. “Lucy, I highly suggest you shut the fuck up,” I warned again. “No, she’s a bad influence to Trinity,” Lucy spat. “One more word, and I’m arresting you,” George said.

“You know what, we’re done. I’ll still takes cares of Trinity, but that’s my sister yous talking about,” Ricky said. “If you don’t stop talking about Mary like this, I won’t help you with the trailer,” Sara said. “Alright, alright. Fine,” Lucy said. “Mommy! Look we found a lot of eggs and caterpillars!” Trinity yelled, running to Lucy.

Lucy’s POV:
I hugged Trinity close as she showed me the bugs she found. I glanced over at Mary still helping the kids from the park find more. She was really good with them. It was hard to deny that she’d make an amazing mother. I guess I was just jealous. She got an incredibly hot man and she was all Trinity talked about. Plus Ricky hung out with her all the time.

“She’s a slut. She never tried to escape Cyrus. She let him bang her. Did you know that, Julian?” I asked and Julian had me pinned to the side of the trailer. He pressed his gun to my head. “Would you have tried to escape if he had you like this? Huh, Lucy?” he growled out. “No,” I said, not really scared. Julian would never hurt anyone. He released me and Ricky got in my face.

“If anyone is a slut, it’s you, Lucy,” Ricky said as Mary marched up to us. “Would you have tried to escape if Cyrus has his hand around your neck, gun pressed to your head. Pistol whipped for calling out Julian’s name. Choked so you can’t scream for help. Beaten severely every turn. Raped over and over and over til you bleed. Cyrus slipping into the wrong hole, but continuing anyway,” she said, on the verge of tears.

Then she started hyperventilating and Julian took her for a walk. “I highly suggest you have a change of attitude or have left when we return,” Julian said over his shoulder as he steered Mary into the field. The three puppies running after them. “That’s what she went through? Fuck me. Now I really want to kill Cyrus,” Ricky said. I was in shock. I never knew what happened to her. No one really did. I felt the weed and booze I had left over from Cyrus wear off.