✨ Just Like Old Times

Preface:
This one shot takes place nearly several decades after the war. This story does contain hinny scenes (Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley).

Dedicated To:
Dark_Ghostie for giving the perfect for a 1k read special one shot and of course, to all the readers who made it possible. Thank you, pal. Thank you, guys! I couldn't get the Weasleys in as well as the word count exceeded 2k. So, I really hope this lived up to your expectations!

The sun was lazily setting over the horizon which the Potter Cottage overlooked. Birds were returning to their home eagerly, chirping melliflously. A soft tune rang in the atmosphere, creating a much serene ambience.

"How I wish the good ol' times returned." Harry Potter, aged fifty six, was seated on the comfortable couch, a cup of tea in his hand. He took a sip from it, waiting for his wife to speak her part. It was not necessarily for verbal communication to understand each other but they preferred to force the silence out of the atmosphere. The painful silence which had fallen over the Potter-Weasley household after their kids moving out.

"I know," Ginny said, sighing. "I really miss the times when we were active. . . It feels like all our limbs have sobered up after their leaving." The next generation of the Potter-Weasley clan had all gone on a mysterious mission to help the Muggle world stop a war. There had been no news of or from them since more than three months. Harry's heart ached for not being able to help them. He was forbidden by a mere parameter - age. Why didn't anyone understand that one is never too old for an adventure?

He voiced it out as well. "One is never too old for an adventure. Why don't the Muggles and the Ministry understand that? What are we, fifty!"

"You are nearing, sixty, Mister," Ginny pointed out.

"Ah, don't be joking, Gin. I have been going through some rather life-endearing adventures since I was this year old!" He did a peculiar action which showed a very minute gap between his thumb and forefinger. His wife merely rolled her eyes at him. This joke had gotten old.

"I guess I could agree with your 'splendid' quote," she said instead, trying and successfully changing the subject before it could go on to what it always becomes. "If Hermione was the Minister, she would have never allowed this."

"The main flaw committed by her was not increasing the retirement age. I mean, I totally get it that at this age we become sore but those willing should be allowed to work."

"You know her. She doesn't want people, why, even elves to be exploited. Those poor creatures who find joy in work are restricted as well. Well, what do you know?" She got up and snatched his glass without bothering to wait, before going to the kitchen to wash them. Harry pouted at her back for snatching the last sip of his delicious tea away from him. Ginny's voice in rhythm with the radio echoed all its way from the kitchen to his ears and he fell into a mesmerized trance.

An owl carrying a letter interrupted his reverie. It dropped off the parchment and without bothering to even take a treat, flew out of the window. Harry opened it curiously. Who could be owling him? Owls were getting rather outdated in the world of magical communication thanks to coins spiked with the protean charm variants.

Inside the envelope sat a parchment, looking as old as it can be. Harry could feel Ginny's presence over his shoulder when she inhaled sharply at the scent of old parchment. It had become one of her personal favourites lately.

Dear Mr and Mrs Potter,
We are pleased to inform you that there is a ball for privileged wizards and witches of the early 2000s this Thursday. It will be held in a quaint meadow, just a few miles in St Ottery Catchpole. We kindly request your humble presence.