The story of Arabell

"Five years ago, I was 12 at the time, my sister, Arabell was 10." Ash began

"We had the typical, love-hate relationship as any sibling. One day, Arabell ran off into the woods behind our house. She ran deeper and deeper. I chased her. Eventually, we both got lost. It became dark and cold-" He stope in his tracks. His eyes were distant, as if remembering a memory he didn't want to.

"You don't have to tell me if you aren't ready" I said softly

"No- no, I want to. I need to tell someone." He replied, quickly shaking off the feeling and continuing down the winding forest path we had just entered.

"We stuck together for what seemed like hours. We tried to find our way back, but i felt like we were moving in circles. We decided to stay put and wait till dawn. I found a tree and we stayed there. Until- until I head barks. They were coming closer. Soon, big red eyes were visible. I don't know what they were. I don't want to. But in the moonlight I saw a dog." He paused, took a swing of water, and then continued.

"Arabell and I didn't know what to do. I pushed her behind me, but then- then one of the dogs lunged at me and pulled me aside. I- there was nothign I could do- I tried to fight the dogs off but I couldn't- I couldn't." He choked.

I mentally scolded myself. Why couldn't I jsut keep my bag mouth shut? I should have know when to stop. I cursed. I needed to learn when it ws time to shut up. I would come back at me one of these days.

I looked at him to see a tear running down his cheek. I didn't know what to do. Should I say something? What would I even say? Hug him? He didn't seem like the touchy type, like me. 

I just murmered "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked"

"No- no, really, its fine, Im glad you asked. Its nice to be able to let it off."

I smiled.

We ambled through the rest of the forest in silence, then, after what seemed like ages, we stopped under an oak tree for the night. 

Ash, who seemingly forgot our whole pity-party talk, showed me fire-fly-buttefly-like creaters. He called them Nyctophils. 

"Their wings light up in darkness like now" He explained, pointing at a cluster of them neaby, around the roots of the tree, all with a different glow, blue, pink, green, yellow, everything.