twenty one

Philomena Pan fidgeted in her seat as she sat at the table with her mother and father. They looked at her with solemn expressions and her smile diminished.

She had returned home not long after Mal and Bens engagement party. She still couldn't believe that they had brought the barrier down and freed her pirate friends.

Summer school had ended and she'd had to return home for the remaining weeks of summer until she began her final year at Auradon prep.

"Phina" Her father began and looked at Wendy who nodded in reassurance at her husband "Me and your mother, well...we fear now that the barrier is opened and your school is so close to the isle that you may be in immediate danger"

"Father the villains aren't bad at all and neither are their children. In fact i've made friends with a few of them" Phina explained eagerly failing to notice the way her mother paled at her words.

"Honey, you must listen to your father. We only want what's best for you" She had to looks away from her mother who wore an expression that made guilt settle in her stomach and a heaviness impose in the centre of her chest.

"Please! you don't understand. It's the first time i've gotten to have friends. Real friends. Not just the ones mother arranged to have around for tea out of convenience" Phina felt a sting in her eyes and tried with all her might to stop her bottom lip from trembling, settling for pinching it between her teeth hard enough to feel the dull pressure pierce the skin.

Her father stood up "I won't have it. Philomena you are not to go back to that damned school"

He looked angry. Her father had never once raised his voice in the presidential of either her or her mother but now he was red in the face and angrier than she had ever seen him. The spark of mischief had vanished from his usually bright eyes, replaced with a narrowed stare that made her feel as thigh the man in front of her was a stranger, an imposter in her fathers skin.

"But you can't do that! Mother do something, he can't stop me from going to school!"

"it's what's best for you Philomena" Wendy told her daughter. She, unlike Peter, could hardly meet her daughter in the eye. Toying with the lace tablecloth between her finger and thumb.

"But i won't be able to see my friends! please let me go! you have to" Phina pleaded but her father slammed his hands on the table as he looked down on his daughter. Both of the women in the room flinched at the sudden display of aggression. Phina was sure she even saw her mother shift away from Peter in such a way that was completely foreign to the way she would usually seek his touch and warmth.

"Enough! No you won't see your evil friends Philomena. You are not going to school and that is final" he turned to his wife "Come on Wendy we have somewhere to be" and with that Peter stride out of the room. Wendy hesitated a moment before approaching Phina and stroking her hair in such a way that only a maternal figure could do. She placed a fleeting kiss on her daughters forehead before leaving the kitchen and a teary eyed Philomena to sit at the table all alone.

What was she going to do? She couldn't just live in the same old house all her life just because her parents were scared. She could defend herself.

Gods Harry was her friend and it was his father they were so afraid of. Harry wouldn't let his father hurt her surely.

She scoffed at what her father had said. Her friends were not 'evil' by any means. Mal, Evie, Uma, Jay, Carlos, Gil and...Harry. They were all the children of villains but they were some of the nicest people she had ever met. They were misunderstood and harshly judged for their parents mistakes.

Everything was finally going good. The barrier had opened and everyone was free, Auradon was happy once more and Mal had become queen. But now? Her father just had to ruin it didn't he.