I

▀▄ Summer of 2002, Monte Carlo🇲🇨 ▀▄

After some discussion into it, my parents finally decided to move to Monte Carlo and accept their new business proposal. I being 6 at the time, didn't bother much. I didn't have friends back in Austria, so this was my chance to make some.

"Ok, Schatz, auch wenn der Sommer gerade erst begonnen hat und wir normalerweise Urlaub machen würden. Dieses Jahr werden wir einfach versuchen, uns im neuen Haus einzurichten und alles zu organisieren, sodass alles bereit ist, wenn es für Sie an der Zeit ist, in die Grundschule zu gehen."
[Ok sweetie, even though summer just started and normally we would go for some vacation. This year we will just try to settle in the new house and organize everything, so when the time comes for you to start primary school everything is ready.]

I didn't mind not going on vacation. Staying here was perfect. This way I could meet the people from here and make friends!

And if you are wondering, ever since I can remember, my parents thought me German, obviously, but also English and French. I'm not super good at French, but I'm able to communicate and understand a bit.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
later ꕤ on

My parents went greeting the neighbors while I stayed in the house with and Bernard, my 7 year old sibling and Rosa, my 4 year old sister.

I hope there will be kids around my age in the neighborhood. I'm also really nervous to start my school journey here, since I'm not an expert with the language.

I went to my room and tried to put some of my toys in the way I liked it. I look at the window in front of me, the house my parents went first, and see a boy that seemed to be close to my age.

Happy that someone close my age was living so close by, I smiled and waved at him. The boy widen his eyes and hides, dropping on the floor. Rude or perhaps he is just shy. I start playing with some of my toys and when I look again to the window, I see the green eye boy, but this time I notice a red play car in his left hand. Not long after he notices me looking at him and he hides again. I guess he must be really shy, so I stopped looking at him. I plan on making new friends, not chase them away.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
days ꕤ later

My parents decide to take us to the park. It will
be fun, the city seems to be very pretty and I might meet someone to play with. I see a couple with three kids.
Mom and dad go to them and greet them, must be some of our neighbors.

Our parents tell us to play with each other and so we did. The littlest boy stays in his mother lap napping, his name is Arthur. While a kid my age, Lorenzo, Rosa and Bernard started running around like crazy. It was then that I got a closer look to the middle child, it was the shy kid next door. He stayed in his corner playing with his red car.

"Vous devez être fan de voitures"
[You must be a fan of cars]

I struggled with my French, but I think it was understandable.

"Je le suis. Est-ce que tu l'aimes aussi?"
[I am. Do you like it too?]

He seemed excited as he asked me that. To be fair I never payed much attention to cars.

"Je ne déteste pas ça. Mais je ne comprends pas grand-chose d'eux."
[I don't dislike it. But I don't understand much of them.]

"Je ne comprends pas encore grand-chose. Mais ils sont super amusants!"
[I don't understand a lot, yet. But they are super fun!]

I couldn't help but giggle. After all he wasn't that shy. He was very cute and I knew right then that we would get along just fine.

"Je suis Valentina."
[I'm Valentina.]

"Je suis Charles."
[I'm Charles.]