Chapter 52

The fingers beside her curled slightly, and Liu Shuang made a soft sound of agreement without moving.

Shen Qiqi approached her, her fingertips lightly brushing over her waist. She stretched her arm forward, trying to hook the towel on the ground. Half of her body was leaning on Liu Shuang, and their distance suddenly closed. Her arm tightened, and she didn't realize that she was holding Liu Shuang tightly from behind.

Shen Qiqi's gaze froze, her soft chest unexpectedly pressed against Liu Shuang's back, and her fine hair fell on her shoulders. She unconsciously stiffened.

Warm breath covered her neck, close enough to feel each other's heartbeat growing clearer.

Thump, thump, thump.

Shen Qiqi was completely unaware that she was about to touch the towel, with only a few centimeters between her fingertips.

Suddenly, someone grabbed her outstretched fingers and wrapped them in a cool palm.

Liu Shuang's voice came lowly, "Your heartbeat is so fast... why?"

Shen Qiqi opened her mouth, her mind going blank.

She remained in the posture of reaching out with her hand, with the sound of a panicked heartbeat ringing in her ears, fervent and honest, as if it were the expression of someone's burning desire.

But these heartbeats didn't seem to belong to just herself.

"... You too," she blinked and said hoarsely, "Are you nervous, Senior sister?"

Liu Shuang did not speak.

In the silence, she couldn't see her face, but the tight and compact heartbeat in front of her seemed to be a more honest answer.

She might as well explain everything to her.

Shen Qiqi suddenly wanted to stand up, to shout out now while she still had the courage- what's with all the "whys"? I just like you!!!

But then she remembered the old man from the Nanming tribe, the opposition between Heaven's will and the demons, and the momentary confusion and hesitation she fell into.

Just then, Liu Shuang gently released Shen Qiqi's hand, leaned over and picked up the towel, and placed it lightly in her hand.

She took a deep breath, as if she had made an important decision, and said, "There's something I want to tell you."

Shen Qiqi looked at her, swallowed a breath of air, "What is it?"

Liu Shuang lowered her eyes, unconsciously squeezing her fingers, "Actually, I am not..."

"... Knock, knock, knock!"

The door suddenly knocked, breaking the tense atmosphere between the two people.

Shen Qiqi sprang away from behind Liu Shuang like a spring, nervously looking towards the door like a guilty conscience.

"Senior sister Liu, Junior sister, have you rested well?" Zhao Ke's voice came from behind the door. "The flying carriage is about to reach the foot of the mountain. Get ready now, and you can go down."

Strangely, no one answered. He had to bend his fingers and knock a few more times, loudly saying, "Are both of you here? Did you hear what I just said?"

After waiting patiently for a moment, Shen Qiqi's dry voice came from inside: "...We know, thank you, Senior Brother Zhao."

Getting a response, Zhao Ke didn't think too much, satisfied and left, leaving the two people staring at each other inside the room.