Chapter Twenty-Four

"Are you going to continue to stay in my bed or are you well enough to use your own?" he asked.

"Peter, why did you save me?" I questioned unexpectedly, uncovering my legs and sitting on the edge of the bed.

He stared into my eyes, and swallowed, unsure of how he would answer. "Because I had to."

I shook my head at his reply. "You didn't have to, Peter." I uttered softly, not breaking eye contact. "I don't understand. I left. I left everyone behind and here I find myself being rescued from death though I thoroughly deserved to drown." I rose from Peter's bed, standing up next to him. He turned his head, looking away.

Peter remained silent.

"Why can't you just talk to me?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"Why must you know everything about me? Why have I become a puzzle for you to solve?" he stepped closer to me, backing me against his dresser. "I told you that I had no desire to be rescued, yet every chance you get, you pry your way into my mind and into my ideas and with every thought that enters my brain, you are there haunting me. Why must you know that every nightmare I have is of you in harm? Why must you know that the only time I have felt fear was when your lifeless body was sinking deeper into the darkness and I believed that I had lost you?" Peter glared deeply at me, out of breath and eyes with the same vulnerability that I had seen before and in the boat after I had come to. "And yes, Meadow." he paused. "I am a coward."

Before me stood Peter Pan. No, not a beast, but a broken boy that had taken off his mask with shaking hands and left himself exposed to me and all the world.

For a moment, I was breathless, watching his dilated pupils with teary eyes. I swallowed hard, then collapsed against chest, clamping my eyes shut as tears threatened to spill. His calming scent filled my nose and he tensed. Suddenly, I felt the warmth of his arms slowly envelop me.

"Meadow-" he began. "Dont.. don't do this." he composed himself, pulling away.

"Forgive me." I said, wiping my eyes. "I'm sorry."

"Perhaps it'd be best if you returned to your tent." he stated, emotionless.

I nodded, then glanced up at him once more, raising a shaking hand to his cheek, contemplated leaving a small kiss on the corner of his mouth, but instead, my hand coward away from him, drawing it back to my chest.

"Goodnight, Peter." I whispered before slipping away from him and out of his tent...

•••

A/n

Short chapter but I updated twice today SO

I kind of fell in love with Peter in this chapter.

Anyways, talk to you guys later.

Love love love