Chapter Fifteen

Disbelief.

The very boy that I felt safe with, acting beastly like an untamed animal, looking to satisfy his own hunger.

After gathering the bows and taking bags for our captured game, we set off on the hunt.

I stayed behind the others, Peter and Caspar at the back making sure no one would be left behind as we traveled through the heavily wooded forest in search for something to shoot at.

"Are you.. okay?" Peter asked awkwardly, unsure of his sympathy and concern.

"I'm fine." I spat. Of course, I hadn't wanted Peter to be right about Owen, but then again I should've expected it. After all, Peter knew everything. "I'm just.. surprised."

"You can't be serious. How long have you known him? A week? And how long was it before he.. he kissed you? A few conversations and suddenly he's in love with you?" Peter scoffed.

I said nothing in return.

"Meadow, I know the desires of a boy's heart. Especially one that hasn't even seen a girl in years. You awaken desires when you become.. intimate." he explained, saying the last word mockingly as if it were a joke.

Owen weaved through the line of boys until he was standing in front of me, slightly out of breath and worry piercing his dark brown eyes. "Meadow, may I speak to you?"

"Where? Behind another tree?" I questioned, my face remaining dull and expressionless.

"No, of course not. Please just let me speak to you. I promise I won't do anything else." Owen begged.

"Just like you promised you wouldn't let anything hurt me, right?" I pushed past him, following the path again.

"I am so sorry, Meadow. Just let me explain." he said, grabbing my hand.

"What is there to explain? I said you were hurting me. I asked you to stop and you didn't." I pulled my hand away from his grasp. "I wasn't ready."

"I wasn't trying to.. I was just.." he trailed off. "Forgive me."

I hesitated, staring at him for a few seconds. "I can't trust you, Owen. I may forgive you, but I can't trust you."

He nodded, dropping his head. "I understand."

Owen trudged back to the head of the trail without another word, leaving me again with Peter.

"I'm sorry." Peter said simply. "That that that happened."

I looked at him with disbelief, a lump in my throat that I couldn't swallow. "Are you? No, 'I told you so's or sauntering along with your head held high and a stupid smirk pasted across your face?"

"Do you want an apology or not? I did just save you from the clutches of that savage." he reminded me bitterly.

I sighed. "I'm sorry. I just didn't expect you to be sympathetic, I guess. I figured you were mocking me."I uttered.

"No, that would be childish. I'm much too smart for that." he said matter-of-factly.

"And humble as well, right?" I asked jokingly.

"Oh yes, I'm very humble. And very handsome." Peter smirked.

Maybe Peter joked often when Hope was alive. Perhaps he was pleasant and joyful, but here and now I only saw glimpses of that Peter.

"I apologize for this morning, Peter. I overstepped my boundaries." I admitted, hoping it would release some of the tension that still held between us.

"There is no need to bring up the events of this morning, Meadow." Peter warned.

"I was just apologizing." I muttered defensively.

"Good. Now you're done apologizing." he said quickly.

"Let's break for lunch and then we'll check the traps." Peter called to the boys, ending the conversation between us as though it hadn't happened..

•••

A/N

Okay so this is super duper short but I kind of have writers block right now so I promise the next chapter will be better.

I watched Pirates of The Caribban: On Stranger Tides and oh my lord Robbie is the cutest thing ever. He's definitely more innocent than he is as Peter and it gives me chest pains. Go watch it because it's great.

So this was more to further develop the whole Owen thing because I wasn't pleased with how that went down.

K bye!

Love love love